Note to New Members ×

Board Width...

Guest apocalypsem3

Originally posted by apocalypsem3

Just out of curiosity, what would be the average waist width of the board for a person with size 26.5 mondo boots? Thanks alot.

I don't know what you are shooting for, but if you are asking for the reason I would be asking I would suggest to ask there binding angles they typically ride as well. I can ride a mondo 28.5 at about 60 deg. with no overhang on a 19.5 cm waist board. Also on a Burner 197 I rode about 70 deg with know overhang on an 18 cm wide board. Later

it depends on your preferences, people argue for narrower waists because the board is quicker and more responsive to turn- other ppl argue for wider waists.....

but i guess that if average angles are like 57 deg then for your size foot it would be about a 18.5 cm waist that would leave you pretty close but with no overhang.

bit of a strange thread really...........anyways

Yeah the post may seem a bit strange, but in all reality I think it is actually a good post for someone who hasn't ridden a lot of different alpine boards with different angles...such as myself. I have tried different wasted boards from 18 cm to 20 cm with a 29 and 28.5 mondo. Since the goal for many people is to minimize overhang and maximize leverage (personal preference excluded here) I think it is a good idea to get a feel for what angles are possible with different width of boards. There is also another minor consideration of the sidecut radius too. For instance my Burner 197 had a huge radius, so there wasn't much difference in width between the waste and where my foot would be placed. This seemed like I had to run a couple deg. steeper in order to avoid booting out. With my current bootsize I would like to get down to mid 50's, and I think 20-21 cm should handle it fine. Plus I absolutely love the stability of a wider carving board.