Note to New Members ×

WA State Coaching?

Guest thomas_m

Guest thomas_m

This is my first season snowboarding after surfing for several years. I'm feeling fairly solid on my board lately and have been making some babystep carves. I'm currently in a stiffish softboot rig - Donek Wide, Catek Freeride and 32 Team 1's.

I crave the carve as that's the same feeling I like when surfing but I'm guessing that at my age (late 30's) some instruction might save me a lot of ass-busting and associated recovery time. I'm looking to get the basics down and maybe look into a hardboot setup early next season.

Any carving-centric coaches/teachers in Western WA or if not, the PacNW?

TIA,

Thomas

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I recommend you get in touch with Snow Performance: http://www.snowperformance.com/

There's an upcoming camp at the end of March in Sun Peaks BC.

They're located in Crystal otherwise.

I went to the December camp and it was great.

Also, Marty is teaching at Snoqualmie Pass. I have no clue how to contact him though.

Eric

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by Art

Man, where were you guys during the races? BTW, if you can in any way make the clinic, do it. Sean and his coaches are some of the best around. Any body else want to pipe in here?

Races, what races? LOL. I only recently found this forum after seeing references in the snowboarding usenet group.

I'm sorry I didn't find out abou the races as I would have loved to photograph them. When I'm not actually surfing(tired, too big, etc), I always try to take photos:

http://www.crowmountain.net/index.html

I'm very interested in shooting snowboarding too.

Thomas

Originally posted by thomas_m

I crave the carve as that's the same feeling I like when surfing but I'm guessing that at my age (late 30's) some instruction might save me a lot of ass-busting and associated recovery time. I'm looking to get the basics down and maybe look into a hardboot setup early next season.

Any carving-centric coaches/teachers in Western WA or if not, the PacNW?

TIA,

Thomas

I second Art's suggestion.. Sean at Snowperformance is excellent guy with whom to hook up. BTW at your young age you can take many bumps and bruises- hang in there. I started in my later years also. I go to Stevens and Crystal quite often as do many others on this board, may be going to Stevens Pass on Sunday - let me know if or when you go up I look for you on your Wide.:D

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by C5 Golfer

I second Art's suggestion.. Sean at Snowperformance is excellent guy with whom to hook up. BTW at your young age you can take many bumps and bruises- hang in there. I started in my later years also. I go to Stevens and Crystal quite often as do many others on this board, may be going to Stevens Pass on Sunday - let me know if or when you go up I look for you on your Wide.:D

I have tentative plans for Crystal on Sunday but the same storm bringing the recent snow is also bringing a nice NW swell so I may find myself waythehell out at looking for lefthanders at Neah Bay...

I've been going to Snoq a couple nights a week and usually Crystal on the weekends since it has more options for the rest of the family. If you see someone on a grey Donek with Cateks that is eating it a lot, that's me:)

T.

Guest SnowVicar

One more vote for Sean at Snowperformance. Check his website and contact him. And he can put you in touch with Marty as well--when Marty isn't teaching at Alpental you'll find him surfing WA coast. You guys oughtta hook up.

We could have used a good photographer on the hill monday and tuesday. We needed a shot of Marty's endo as well as a few other choice moments. I'm probably done at Crystal for the year:( , but hopefully we can hook up next year. If the races come back you will have to come up for sure. Thomas, were you at crystal on a monday the 23rd of feb? There was a lone carver on Downhill but I only saw him once and couldnt get off of the chair fast enough.

Originally posted by Art

We could have used a good photographer on the hill monday and tuesday. We needed a shot of Marty's endo as well as a few other choice moments. I'm probably done at Crystal for the year:( , but hopefully we can hook up next year. If the races come back you will have to come up for sure. Thomas, were you at crystal on a monday the 23rd of feb? There was a lone carver on Downhill but I only saw him once and couldnt get off of the chair fast enough.

what do you mean you are done at Crystal...??? what has happened?:confused: I though we had many ride days left

Thanks again to Marty, Bill, Jim, Art, and Charlie for their help with the World Cup race at Crystal. I talked to some of the folks who were in charge and they couldn't have been happier with how everything went. Hopefully this will lead to more alpine events in the future.

As for the coaching question, we have our next carve camp set for Sun Peaks B.C. this March 28th thru 31st. So far we have 8 folks signed up and hopefully will have a dozen or so. Complete details can be found at www.snowperformance.com

-Sean