Note to New Members ×

SES Poll

AaronG

SES Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. SES Poll

• how many here attended SES and had a great time?
    • How many here did not attend SES and are smackin' themselves in the head for not going?

So what boards did people get to demo? I'm was interested in people's opinions on comparing the Donek FC and Axis to Prior WCR and 4WDs and what lengths they likes (compared to their height/weights).

Just trying to get some secondhand comparisons on these brands :D

Everyone should come next year! It's a must.

Gee, we had soooooo much fun. A wonderful group of people. Many many great carvers from all over.

In terms of Donek vs Prior, I think the SWOARD was the big winner of the SES.

At least in Aspen did I only hear really great response from all the people who tested it...

Don't know how it ended in the Summit... WHY didn't I go :confused: Next year the entire SES for sure.

Ray,

Since our paths still have not crossed this year at Mammoth, could you tell me what your opinions are of your Pogo and your Sword and how they compare? Terry told me a couple weeks ago that you were making some sick carves on your Pogo at June. Were you riding the Pogo instead of the Sword because the Pogo is faster and more suitable for the wide open super grooms at June? By the way isn't it sad that June finally did it ?... they made Gunsmoke into a terrain park. :(

Tim

Don’t forget that there were Coiler’s and MADD’s to demo as well. Thank you Dave Morgan and MADD Mike for bringing such great boards to the SES.

And for those who might tele, Donek had their new tele ski at the SES for demo and of course mounted up with nothing less than the Bomber Bishop. Thank you Sean and Fin!

kt

I saw and tested the flex (by hand) of the madd 158 at fin's factory! Man this board is stiff!!! how can you bend it is a mystery!! maybe put the bindings like a monoski?? ;)

Wondering how such a stiff board can hold an edge on ice ( seems it is the best tool for the east ice).

I found the board heavy as hell, but looks springy and too bad fin didn't have it at the Aspen SES grrr would have loved to try!!

As for demoes: I demoed an Axis 172: Had a huge fun :) Will order on soon as missing gap between a full carver and a swallowtail !

nils

Guest Pepe Le Pew

Nils, you've got to try one.

Here is my experience: I tried it for the first time at A-Basin. The top was kinda hard (clearly not ice though) and despite my 210 pounds, the board behaved very nicely. Good edge hold, just as turny as I wanted it to replace my 171 Rossi. A lot of fun.

If I am lucky Bob Jenney & Dave Keys may have video to support my claims!

The next day at Copper was even harder. My own F2 182 not so well tuned anymore was giving me some trouble. I came back to the tent for a Coiler Pure Race 186 that handled really nicely but was not turny enough. I bought the Madd 170 :D . I had the opportunity to ride it twice and as far as hold, I didn't notice I had lost 16cm of edge. I was probably going slower though (smaller sidecut).

Eric

Tim,

OMG, Gunsmoke is a park now :mad:

I was hoping they don't get enough snow.

I have 3 main boards I ride the most now. A 161 Pogo overdose, a 168 Pogo Impact, and a 161H Swoard (#006) :D

The Overdose was the one I rode that day when Terry was there. This one is a very stiff, aggressive board with a major "snap" for smaller turns.

The Impact is pretty similar, major camber, very aggressive as well, longer turns...This one I just got a couple of days before I went to Aspen (SES). It was very interesting to ride this board for the very first time on absolutely perfectly groomed slopes. Buttermilk that was.

The Swoard is in it's own league! I should have taken it to the SES. Many other Swoard owners, plus all the demos Nils and Patrice brought over. The Swoard is a very versatile board with major edge hold, which develops (should) a very elegant graceful carving style. It's just inviting you to lay out the nice fully stretched turns. The entire combination plays a big role here! Binding angels (54/47), not as steep as usual these days, no cant or lift, no step-ins, plus a boot which allows lot's of lateral flex (Northwave .900).

I tried to ride the Swoard with my identical configs as I use on my others boards (58/55; toe, heel lift and can't w/ AF700), and no good. It made me fall back into the "racing position".

I am really convinced and happy to own a Swoard. Let's put it this way, if I break it, or loose, I will defiantly get another one!

Ray

Originally posted by Pepe Le Pew

Nils, you've got to try one.

The next day at Copper was even harder. My own F2 182 not so well tuned anymore was giving me some trouble. I came back to the tent for a Coiler Pure Race 186 that handled really nicely but was not turny enough. I bought the Madd 170 :D . I had the opportunity to ride it twice and as far as hold, I didn't notice I had lost 16cm of edge. I was probably going slower though (smaller sidecut).

Eric

How much was the MADD 158 and 170s?

Eric,

just a note on the Coilers that Dave Morgan brought. The PR186. He brought 3, 1) Blue Flames top sheet 2)The eliptical top sheet 3) The Maple leaf top sheet.

Each was a different construction and flex. so depending on which board you rode it would of turned and felt different than the other two. Do you remember which one you rode?

Joel

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I demoed the blue one, as far as I remember.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the board and will likely consider it when my F2 dies. I just couldn't justify getting this board at this point. I needed something turny for the smaller trails in the passes around here.

Eric

Eric,

just FYI

Luckily for me I had all 3 boards (Coiler Custom PR186's) on the Tuesday the day off of the SES at Buttermilk. I rode the Blue one first and really liked it. rode the Eliptical one second and found it to be more stable but turn harder.....then I rode the White and Red Maple Leaf one. Well after riding the Maple Leaf one I ran right home and talked to Bruce about the differences AND ordered that exact same board right then and there. That one blew away the other two by far.

The Blue one was the original WCC construction but it has a stiffer mid section and had quite a bit of Carbon in it.. the Maple Leaf one is the new SuperBoard construction and it has no Carbon in it at all.

Anyway the difference in the construction of the boards even though they were the same dimensions throughout was truly remarkable. I have both a 186 and a 172 F2 Speedster RS's and that one 186 PR will be replacing both. It turned small and big radius turns that damn good. It was simply the best board I had ever ridden.

Just thought I would tell you what I found from testing all three that day.

which F2 do you have?

Joel

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I have a grey F2 Speedster RS 182 (14 or 15m sidecut).

I was told to check out the maple leaf Coiler.

I didn't have a chance to do it this time around... Next year maybe!

I can't imagine having any regrets here anyway.

This Madd 170 rides longer than it is, is very agile and turny (and it fits in my board bag). Just what I was looking for.

Eric