Note to New Members ×

SoCal summer

bjvircks

I'm going to be in San Bernardino August 2 thru 12 with my son... hang gliding lessons for him. Anybody care to show us good places to 'hang out' evenings? I know that a few carvers are in the LA/Orange/Riverside/SanBerdoo area. I stongly suspect that most of the pilots I knew from my days out there have an altitude of minus 6 ft.:rolleyes:

lodging is not totally committed yet, but most likely San Bernardino/Colton/Redlands. My nightlife is pretty quiet, laid back. Not a bar-hopper or heavy drinker... definitly a non-smoker. I expect to spend a lot of time poolside. My son will be just 2 weeks shy of 21 when we are there.

Thumper... I see you list Canyon Lake as your location. As I recall, isn't that a development just east of Lake Elsinore?? I would fly 'smell-some-more' sometimes.

I didn't fly for any team or manufacturer, just recreational pilot. My brush with greatness was when Larry Tudor drove for me one day up at OV.

Yep about 2 miles E of Elsinore. Let me talk to a couple of Redlands/SBD friends and see if I can get you some recommendations. Larry Tudor, didn't he set a world's glider altitude record or something? Where's OV?

At the time Larry was the open distance xc record holder of around 300 miles in a hang glider. My personal best is 102 miles. OV is the Owens Valley. Most SoCal skiers/riders pass thru on the way to Mammoth. Lone Pine, Independance, Bishop, etc. The OV is world class flying! Most XC pilots have a chase crew. Larry drove my chase one day. The weather was not outstanding enough for him to set up his glider on the last day of a long weekend, so he offered to drive. I had a sh** eatin' grin for the whole next couple weeks. Not only had I met him and been in the air with him earlier in the weekend... he chased for me! :D

Hey, you'll be in my neck o' the woods. I live right near San Berdoo. Give me a heads up when the time draws a bit closer and I can shoot you my phone number. I am not a drinker either but maybe we can go tip a few back at one of the local establishments.

I know the kiting contingent will be out at Crestline jump off this weekend with the temps that we are having the thermals will be huge, combine that wiht the upslope winds that we always encounter in the afternoon and you should be capable of a couple hours of flight time.

What kind of altitudes are you flying at? Very cool.
yep... is cool... We would fly with ski pants and down coats to keep warm. It seemed kind of silly to be walking around at launch in flip-flops, shorts & tee shirts and just as the launch window opens we throw on the heavy gear. Then we stand there in 90 to 100 heat and sweat till we get off.

We'd launch at 9k ft ( OV- Horseshoe Meadows) and spend most of our flights between 11k and 15k. On one flight I just broke 17k (without supplimental oxygen!)

Aaron!

Tipping one or two cold ones does seem in order. I recall discussing with you the possibility of meeting up with you last year about this time when business took me to Anaheim. An unexpected urgent push by Boeing made our team stay over much longer than intended and we had to work long hard hours to meet new goals. I did not have free time to get away... and brain fade must have taken over because I certainly must have had time to give you a shout via BOL. My bad:freak3:

• 5 weeks later...

In Redlands try:

Citrone, Italian/American cuisine, casual, 328 Orange St

Joe Greensleeves, fine dining-steaks, 220 North Orange St

Charlie Jewell's, pub/bar, great martini's, 1 East State St.

The Royal Falconer, great halibut fish and chips, 106 East Orange Street

The Boiler Room, bar with music or band, 345 North Fifth St.

Hope this helps

Well... everything worked out flawlessly ! Joe got his first taste of hang gliding by going up with tandem-pilot extradinare Rob McKenzie. In one of the (very poor, more on that later) photos you can see Joe in complete control of the glider with Rob in the 'back seat'.

At the end, Rob took over to make the final approach and landing.

Later, Joe got a workout by doing instructed launchs/landings from a shallow training hill. I got some 'refresher time' from the very top of the training hill to assure Rob that I still remembered how to fly before he'd let me use his gliders for mountian flying.

I am so stoked!!!! It looks like Joe and I may be able to be in the air together by mid week!!!

poor photos... Camcorder won't play directly to notebook (dvd not 'finalized'), and so I had to play the video to the TV, then capture stills from TV with digital camera set to really slow shutter speed. THEN I had to reduce the hi-res stills to 640-480 to load to BOL

post-1998-141842233863_thumb.jpg

post-1998-141842233865_thumb.jpg

post-1998-141842233868_thumb.jpg