Note to New Members ×

April?

John E

Check out these conditions:

http://www.skiloveland.com/snowrep/snowrep.asp

I went to Loveland yesterday - best conditions of the season (for me)! Cold in the AM (10 degrees F in the parking lot) & windy all day. Almost nobody there.

I have to confess that I was not on my alpine board - I was on soft boots & a regular board. The lift I rode (#8) most of the day had almost nobody on it - maybe 30 people total at the peak. The wind would fill in earlier tracks & I was finding fresh tracks even on the last run. The windpack was firm but not hard. I had to carry some speed to get through it. When I rode the board flat, it would barely leave a track. When I initiated a turn, the windpack would give way in a nice, progressive manner & I'd sink in about 6". On the steeper stuff, I could point the board straight down the fall line in a brief free-fall & then sink in for a nice big round turn with some big compression at the apex of each turn.

Fabulous conditions. I didn't want to leave. I got the last ride up the lift at about 3:25 PM. I did some runs on the front side - the groom was truly hero conditions.

More snow predicted for the weekend. I'm going to try to get up again.

Hard to believe it's April.

I was not on my alpine board - I was on soft boots & a regular board.

Bite your tongue! Saying that implies that an alpine board isn't a regular board...

It's been snowing like a banshee here too. Got probably 8 inches between yesterday and now. Started out as light fluffy stuff, but then it warmed up a bit and it's slightly fluffier than slush. All the hills are closed too..:angryfire

May be a beautiful November day, but it sure makes a ****ty April day.