Note to New Members ×

Vail

John E

Last Monday / Tuesday I met up with old college buddies that I used to ski with.

We stayed with a guy who has a condo in Vail. This was our 33rd year since meeting as freshmen at The University of Colorado. Most of the guys still ski.

I'm still learning on hardboots so the 1st day I stayed with soft boots. Vail had several feet of new in the prior several weeks but no snow in the prior two days.

We rode groomers mostly - Northwoods and some runs in China Bowl. Northwoods was smooth, wide & fun.

On Tuesday my toes were hurting so I reverted to skis. After 1/2 day of skiing, I got bored & switched out to my alpine board. We spent the rest of the day on the west side of the resort on Simba & Dealer's Choice. These runs are "blue" runs & recently groomed. Amazing. They must be 200' wide, smooth and mostly empty. We had 2 guys on soft boots, 2 on hard boots and the rest on skis. We could really open it up and take the entire run. Really had a blast pretending we weren't 50 years old.

Look into finding Mr. Lowell Hart the next time you're at Vail.If he's not working, I'm sure he could take you on a whirlwind tour of Vail's finest carving runs.Great guy to ride with, you'll learn more in a day's riding with Lowell than you'd learn all season riding without a "coach".