Note to New Members ×

Base flattening - Razor Skiver

kmartshopper

Anyone have any experience with the "SkiVisions" Razor Skiver tool that Tognar sells? I don't need race perfect structure, but am more concerned with leveling out the base to clean up my rock-riddled base side edges. I'm a big fan of doing stuff myself, and an equally big fan of being cheap - so if this got me most of what I wanted out of a stone grind, I'd be pleased.

It looks sensible, but I wasn't sure how you handle when the blade is hitting the edges. Maybe you have to switch back and forth with an edge file and this tool... kind of like a stone grind tech putting a base bevel on before running it through. :confused:

I was going to give Tognar a call and ask, but still wanted to know if anyone's tried it.

http://skivisions.us/638.html

________

PROBLEMS FROM DEPAKOTE

I bought one over the summer and have used it on a few older boards that were base high. Seemed to work pretty well although I need to re-order more blades - the fine blades tend to wear out. It leaves a pretty nice structure but I still went over the base with a brass brush when finished. One thing I found is that you need to use moderate to light pressure otherwise you can overpower the magnetic force which holds the blade and the blade will pop out of place.

I did most of my edge tuning before using the skiver. Technically, I should have probably flattened out the base first. Like you, I was concerned about the edges damaging the blades. The key is moderate to light pressure.

Honestly, it was not as nice as a base grind but good enough clean up some of my early season boards.

Overall - decent product for $35-40.

I used one last season on a board that was really high. I assumed you start with coarse and work up to fine. Didn't work that way for me. The coarse left big, deep grooves in the base that didn't come out as I went to the finer blades, and didn't even all come out after a base grind. Be careful!