Note to New Members ×

Alaska Groomers

Guest mkgillman

Guest mkgillman

Evening all:

I haven't posted to this forum much, though a got a lot of great help this fall on picking out a new board. I'd also like to apologize if this is the wrong board for this type of post, but I finally dragged my camera out to Alyeska (the local resort) last week and wanted to post some pictures. Alaska is normally known for backcountry, but where they groom it is honestly some of the best carving I have ever seen.

Since I cannot figure out how to directly embed the image, I'll just post the links.

Looking out at Turnagin Arm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/life_of_gillman/407420024/

Village of Girdwood

http://www.flickr.com/photos/life_of_gillman/407419094/

Groomers and bumps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/life_of_gillman/407420557/

What I dream about at night

http://www.flickr.com/photos/life_of_gillman/407419722/

Looking out at Turnagin Arm

407420024_67359412e9.jpg?v=0

Village of Girdwood

407419094_87e06ffc69.jpg?v=0

Groomers and bumps

407420557_78993e3a3a.jpg?v=0

What I dream about at night

407419722_75a3ca056c.jpg?v=0

I just copied and pasted the image from your linked page. It seems like the flickr site won't let you directly link/embed the pic in the typical link fashion. I tried to do that first but I just got red "x".

Awesome pics nonetheless.

J

Is the Cook Inlet dry?? or is it just very muddy?? My nephew lived in Anchorage a few years, if you went to the emergency Room at any of the Anchorage hospitals he probably worked on you. He and his wife recently moved to Soldotna, where he works in the ER there. I plan to head up there this summer for some fishing and mtn biking. I also have some friends that live in Girdwood.

I have always wanted to try Alyeska, with those pictures that you posted it makes me really want to ride there. With that kind of corduroy there why aren't we seeing your telltale signs that you were trenchin' the cord?? That run under the lift and to the left of the lift is good spectator viewing!! I only see "TWO" people on the runs also, how nice would that be???

Guest mkgillman

Actually that isn't Cook Inlet, it is Turnagin Arm, which I just noticed I said was Knik Arm earlier. Both are off shoots of Cook Inlet. Turnagin Arm freezes semi-solid down around Girdwood so that is just the ice moving out on the tide.

There weren't any carving shots from that day as no one else was willing to run the camera for me. I'm planning on going out again Monday, so maybe I can get some then.

The trail with the two peope on it is Trapline and is one of the best carving trails I have ever seen. It starts out as a half-pipe and gradually flattens out toward the bottom of the slope. The best part is that right now it is getting to be perfect cord, but no one out here rides unless there is powder.

we dont have anything like that around here... I thought Okemo was good, but this blows any vermont resort away. And nobody rides it??? I never thought id consider Alaska after college, but maybe I should:biggthump

Guest mkgillman

I think that there are a lot of people that don't mind only riding when the temperature is about 10° and there is good, fresh powder, really not such a bad hang up to have.

Great picks MK... thanks for posting those! I have a buddy in Anchorage that I visit every year for fishing. He keeps trying to get me to move out there but I have never considered it because I thought I would have to give up carving. If I came out this winter... would you give me the tour of your hill?

ssegress@earthlink.net