Note to New Members ×

Burton Disc Cracks/Breaks

modifiede30

Unfortunetly this does happen.

Burton made discs out of various materials.... I found the shiny plastic ones (Colourful type) to crack more than the dull looking black plastic ones... they seem to have a better fatigue life... not really sure what they are made from (I have heard the black ones are made from recycled Ben And Jerry's ice cream containers)

If you want a disc failure fix.. get some aluminium discs. but that puts a wee bit more pressure on the rest of the binding..... so that'll break instead....

Just keep an eye on the bindings parts as (you should be doing) to catch any thing abnormal before it makes you get hurt in the face...

Nothing more than an inspection of all the parts to see if anything does start to crack etc.....

I am pretty sure that nobody here has ever broken a Burton plate binding. Do a search and you will see. Burton bindings are highly esteemed for their longevity. They are much more durable than Bombers and Cateks.

O.K., on a serious note, a friend of mine broke a disc, went in and replaced it, came back out and broke the replacement. Then he was mad because he did not have any more. I came to his rescue - I gave him an extra one from my tool box. Three runs later that one was broken as well. It was a freak thing - the one he put on after that has lasted 'til this day.

Unfortunetly this does happen.

Burton made discs out of various materials.... I found the shiny plastic ones (Colourful type) to crack more than the dull looking black plastic ones... they seem to have a better fatigue life... not really sure what they are made from (I have heard the black ones are made from recycled Ben And Jerry's ice cream containers)

Probably has something to do with the glass content. When they hit something hard they sound like metal. A nylon with about 30% glass fill has about the same expansion coefficient as steel. More glass and it's gonna get more brittle, but too little glass and it just won't be strong.

As for the ben and jerry's ice cream containers... It may just be me, but that doesn't seem probable. Last I knew they were made out of paper.