Note to New Members ×

Offset Discs For Burton Cant

eastcoasticerider

For the younger crowd out there.....who may have never seen the wild variety of Burton gear and gimmicks......refer to the other add on FORSALE to see the cant wedges for sale.these discs go witht he rear foot cant to give you the ability to angle binding in an offset rather than straight on setup.I dont actually understand the physics of it ...but it seems to work.......eastcoaster.... :freak3:

When you attach a Burton cant plate to the board you use four screws in the regular binding 4x4 pattern. This leaves nowhere for you to screw the binding on to the cant plate - as you would be screwing it into the tops of the cant plate mounting screws...no go. So - there are 4x4 threaded mounting holes "offset" 15 degrees next to the cant plate mounting holes - which you then attach the binding to. If you used a "regular" 4x4 disc and wanted to micro-adjust the binding forward and back, you would only be able to move it on an axis 15 degrees away from the center line of the board - so towards the toe side or heel side. The "offset" disc allows these micro adjustments to occur forward and back along the long axis of the board when using a Burton cant - and also means the degree readings are correct...if you use a regular 4x4 disc the degree readings are off by 15 degrees. :)

heers some photos.....the lifts are solid blocks of aluminnum machined in Eric's shop to fit on the toepiece and under the heel piece of the respective rear and front binding. Then you can shim up or down with thinner or thicker flat pieces of aluminum....Jack Michaud's articles got me onto these ages ago right after all boards went to symetrical rather than asym regular and goofy.....I really like the simplicity and the way i can comfortably keep my legs relaxed and freecarve all over the place.

post-992-141842229598_thumb.jpg

I'm in the process of building a pile of cant plates out of epoxy impregnated kiln dried redwood. I built a set a few years ago without the epoxy and are still using them. The only difference is that you bolt THROUGH them, so the binding bolts are holding everything in place. I like this because it's not 8 bolts per binding (4 of which you can"t see.) It's just the 4. I had some cant plates come loose a few years ago and just DESTROYED the top sheet of my FP. They look just like the Burtons, just need longer screws. I LIKE through bolting because of this. See the bolt, Tighten it! No hidden stuff. I'm building five, thought I might send one to Wavechasher for Beta testing. Scott