Note to New Members ×

Tail protection

trikerdad

I agree that grip tape probably does as good a job of protecting the top sheet when someone runs up on it and have used it in the past but, besides it not wanting to stick to the Donek topsheets, I find that people are more careful about running up on tails with spikes than with grip tape.

What's the adhesive? Just curious since those will have to come off for a grind...

3M double-sticky-side tape? This stuff is mad, I used to assemble aluminum furniture with it (some parts), it was impossible to take apart if it was applied properly...

I agree that grip tape probably does as good a job of protecting the top sheet when someone runs up on it and have used it in the past but, besides it not wanting to stick to the Donek topsheets, I find that people are more careful about running up on tails with spikes than with grip tape.

Provided that they can see these spikes...

I got tired of spending 12 to 13 dollars for six stomp pad spikes to protect the tails of my boards. For $1 I got enough golf shoe spikes to do two boards. Just took a little while with my dremel cut off wheel to cut the threaded studs off. A little goop and this is what I have:

I tried the spiked stomp pad stick-on and they didn't last long with the cold.

It seemed that everytime I slaped my board down to remove the snow, they would fly off! :mad:

I like what you did with the golf spike! :biggthump:biggthump

As I said , I am curious to see how you got them to stick ounce you took the threaded portion. :confused:

Thanks!

I got tired of spending 12 to 13 dollars for six stomp pad spikes to protect the tails of my boards. For $1 I got enough golf shoe spikes to do two boards. Just took a little while with my dremel cut off wheel to cut the threaded studs off. A little goop and this is what I have:

Bill, that is EVIL, but I like it! :eplus2:

Reminder to self: Don't follow Bill in lift line at SES.

You know I just don't get this. I ride almost every night at an area that is best described as an urban jungle with a hundred or so PMs and other bizar creatures. I have had people spit tobaco juce on my frozen board, I have even had a girl pass out on top of my board but I really have not had a problem with people sliding on top of the board. It they did it would only add to the scrapes I have from teaching two of my children and my 10 year old nephew to ride. I don't really see what you are trying to protect. The resale value of a board that has been used a couple of hundred times? Or should I really be worried my Donek will delam from some inadvertant attention from another board or ski? If so what is the problem with the manufacturing?

It's just to keep your board looking as good as it can for as long as it can. It's like my truck. I'd like to keep it spotless, avoiding all the branches on the twotrack, but if I inadvertantly drag a branch down the side it's not the end of the world.

Not to mention, spikes just look cool. :)

Nothing wrong with taking good care of your stuff. I actually don't care about the truck I use for snowboarding which is a good thing because it takes a beating. I try to wax and care for the edges as often as possible. It just seems a little over the top to actually hurt someone elses equipment for what is usually an accident of sliding too far forward in a lift line. There are few enough of us out there as it is without creating bad vibes...

I'm with Ralann on this one. It might be an accident but its the same thing as having a brush guard on your truck. People might hit you by accident and they would cause much more damage to themselves than to your car. As long as you're not going around and trying to slide your board under people's skis, there should be no bad vibes.