Note to New Members ×

where to go?

Guest frenchy

Guest frenchy

Hi all,

happy to see the HB carving community still exists around these parts. I'm in Pasadena, and would love to find a good place to play with my equipment (an f2 silberpfeil that has seen the snow only a couple times in 2 seasons). I am looking for closeby "boulevards", you seem to call them cruisers, with un-intimidating corduroy, groomed to perfection, to get back in shape. I used to have decent fun, but have not practiced enough since I moved to socal 5 years ago.

So, here is my first question: where to go? from all the posts, it looks like miracle mile/summit run at snow summit might be nice. Also the East resort at Mountain high, if they groom it? Anything else, locally, I should try, before going to the sierras? How about Big Bear?

Second question is one of the reasons I have so little practice lately: I don't drive...yeah...lame I know. So, if there are some good souls with room in their car going up from LA some time soon, let me know if you've got room for me :)

thanks, and see you on the slopes.

J.

Guest frenchy

Hallelujah! :) I went to snow summit this weekend. First, the night session on Saturday was excellent, barely anyone on the runs, I was already very happy with my time up there. Hard snow, pretty well groomed even after a long day (not cord, sure), and not even windy. I stuck with miracle mile and summit run and had a lot of fun on either piste. But then bliss came on sunday :) Sure it was crowded, but not that bad in the morning, and most importantly, the crowd of mostly useless soft-booters was sticking with summit run. I went there once, scared the ski patrol (what the hell is that???), got a warning for going so dreadfully fast (I was truly going slowly), and vowed not to come back untill nighttime. So miracle mile became a good friend, and cord there was on it. Carving heaven was found all the way to the East, on the Wall, and especially the Log Chute I think. That was fun. No one. Pretty nice cord at first, blown by the wind through the day. But it was cold enough that the snow stayed hard and perfectly carvable all day. On the opposite side, Westridge was also a lot of fun, as was the little bit of steep Mainstream in the family park. Overall the Log Chute and Westridge were the most fun to carve from top to bottom,non-stop. This board is a blast, laughs at the bits of windblown icy patches, and relentlessly pushes me from one turn to the next. So, all in all, a very good weekend on the snow! I saw only one other carver, with an RS, and I feel both like a dinosaur, and a trailblazer, not sure which...

Snow Summit is pretty much your best bet for carving. go to chairs 7 and 10. that's where all the fun is at.

mt. high is ok if they get dumped on. the east resort is nice for carving if they get the snow, which they're not. the west resort only has one run i care to go down Conquest. unfortunately, coverage is just above par.

since we're in jibberland, the majority of their snow blowing efforts go to upper and lower chilsom and the green runs down bottom.

Monday we rode mostly on Westridge (right of chair 3, and goes all the way to the bottom by All Mtn Xpress), and it was just perfect. Nobody there, perfect groom, wide slope that you can just bomb it, also no ski patrol. Summit Run is what they concider "all-slow" zone and I guess it is for those who are just learning. I know I'm not going back on Summit Run next time I'm there.

-matt