Note to New Members ×

How safe is it to bend a bent bail back?

Linus

I know it's a stupid question but, I was wondering if anyone bend back their TD1 or 2 bails. My TD2 rear bail is bent and I'm thinking of bend this back since it's only about 4mm out of alignment.

I don't know why TD2 failed on me. My F2 race Ti and TD1 bindings never had this problem. Should I get a Ti bail? I'm only 170lbs I still can't believe this happened.

What do you guys think?

What happened, how did it bend? Crash?

How loose are your bindings? You should have to use a whole hand or maybe two to open/close them. Loose bindings fatigue bails at an accelerated rate.

Whether it's "safe" to bend the bail back depends on how much it is bent. Ever bend a paperclip back and forth until it breaks? That's a process called work hardening. Same thing applies to any snowboard bail.

Nobody can tell you whether your bindings are safe over the interhighway.

my bindings are very tight. I need two hands to clip and unclip. It started to bend little by little and now its out by 4mm.

I don't know how long this is going to last but I know I can't bend this bail back again.

Jack, do you know if having no lift or canting has something to do with this? If I use low angles, I use flat setup with TD2 but if I need high angles(like more than 60* for my Burner) I use a 3* disk with my TD1 for my rear foot. And my TD1 never had any problems.

FWIW, I use a lot of body rotation to turn. After seeing Mr. Vin Q.'s photos, I couldn't resist. Maybe this is the problem?

my bindings are very tight. I need two hands to clip and unclip.

that's good.

Jack, do you know if having no lift or canting has something to do with this? If I use low angles, I use flat setup with TD2 but if I need high angles(like more than 60* for my Burner) I use a 3* disk with my TD1 for my rear foot. And my TD1 never had any problems.

FWIW, I use a lot of body rotation to turn. After seeing Mr. Vin Q.'s photos, I couldn't resist. Maybe this is the problem?

Just a guess, but it could be the low angles combined with a lot of rotation. Flat or not shouldn't have anything to do with it. You may want to go to Ti bails, but in any case, you should contact Fin. (should have been your first course of action)