Note to New Members ×

files: what am I doing wrong?

kjl

I changed the side angle on my F2 last week (successfully - it's sharp as a blade now), but I pretty much completely used up a brand new file. I was using the 4 inch laser cut pansar file off of http://www.tognar.com/files_brushes_chrome_mill_ski_snowboard.html , which was supposedly extra durable. I would file maybe 10-15 passes, and then that section of the file would be dull, and I'd have to shift it up or down on my file guide. I was even cleaning the file every 2 or 3 passes with a brush.

What was I doing wrong? I want to change the edge angle on another board but I'd like to not completely ruin another file.

I wasn't pressing super hard, but I was pressing firmly. I had the teeth angled slightly (maybe 30 degrees off of perfectly vertical) downwards (board was base up) so that the filings would get pushed downwards away from the base.

The only thing I can think of was even firm pressure would dull a file..Just use enough to keep the file/guide in alignment...

Also only file in the direction of the teeth... if you file the correct way.. the teeth will shave the metal edge but NEVER drag it backwards cos' that ruins the file's teeth.....

That's the only two things that I could imagine would dull a file

provided you do clean the teeth out properly with a file card.

The only thing I can think of was even firm pressure would dull a file..Just use enough to keep the file/guide in alignment...

I was pressing significantly harder than that. Maybe that was the problem. Really, you just lightly skim it on the surface and it peels off metal?

provided you do clean the teeth out properly with a file card.

Is there a "wrong" way to clean out the teeth? I was dragging the card horizontally so the bristles travelled along the length of each tooth (didn't want to go against the direction of the teeth so the teeth would be filing away the bristles themselves, and with the direction of the teeth just had the bristles skip over all the stuff I was trying to clean out).

I was pressing significantly harder than that. Maybe that was the problem. Really, you just lightly skim it on the surface and it peels off metal?

Heavy pressure will wear them out quicker.. really heavy pressure will kill them in no time... Worse still if you retrace your movement along the edge by going backwards that actually takes off the tops of the file's teeth.....

As long as you maintain enough pressure to keep the file guide in the right position/alignment that's all you have to worry about... let the file do all the work.....

On a side note though... those special files aren't cheap... I have a file like that and it's stoooopdly expensive...

Is there a "wrong" way to clean out the teeth? I was dragging the card horizontally so the bristles travelled along the length of each tooth (didn't want to go against the direction of the teeth so the teeth would be filing away the bristles themselves, and with the direction of the teeth just had the bristles skip over all the stuff I was trying to clean out).

Just sweep the card in the direction of the teeth on the file...you should be able to see how the card cleans the file....

If your edges are sharp and at the angles you want... you can simply use a small diamond stone to "touch up" your edges from now on... I haven't used a file on any of my decks for ages as I touch them up after a couple of days riding......:biggthump