Note to New Members ×

FINALLY rode an alpine board!

zoltan

After half a season with plates on an Incline I finally got to try my new F2 Silberpfeil for 3 runs (stupid Mid-Atlantic weather) before the rest in my group decided to get refunds.

First off, it was very, very different riding that compared to my Incline. Just much more edge and really, REALLY skinny! For the first two runs I like I was in the back seat the whole time and simply could NOT initiate a turn no matter how much I shifted my weight forward. Shot myself off into the trees once because of that. My bindings were on the inserts farthest apart and before my third run I move the rear binding forward by one and that helped a lot. On that final run I finally had a couple turns that felt good and hinted at the potential of the board :1luvu:. I can't wait to try it again and put some real time on it!

I'm happy that I started out on the Incline. I think starting out on the F2 would have extended my learning curve and might even have been dangerous to me. Plus, now I have a sweet Incline out of the deal as well.

I had a far amount of toe lift and a little more than half that of heel lift. To get my weight even more forward I've already reduced the toe lift to be equal with the back, and I might remove it totally, add more heel lift, or move the rear binding forward by another one.

They got about a foot of fresh yesterday. I think they will have 3 trails top to bottom this weekend. Salmander (green), the Drop (double black) and Lightning (Black). Right now only Lightning is open but the others should be online soon. They were making snow like crazy for the last 3 days. Suppposed to rain Friday/Sat so that won't help things. It was getting kind of thin last Saturday but the cold weather and natural has fixed that problem some. The snow was a bit too soft to really carve hard in and Lightning bumped up quick. I'd guess that if the rain holds off it will be pretty good this weekend. Might be crowded though with the holiday though.

Did Snowshoe have less than advertised conditions?

Snowshoe advertised 33 trails open with a 30+ inch base. When we got there every single trail had massive dirt patches, and what wasn't dirt was rough and chopped up ice. There were only a few patches of trail that had decent enough snow. It sucks trusting them, driving 5 hours out, spending a night there, only to realize that they lied about the conditions (they conveniently don't have webcams) and then driving 5 hours back.

That sucks. I hate that drive so much. Its only about 2 hrs for me from Canaan but I still hate to do it. Did you guys try out Silver Creek? It seems to be a bit better for carving. Snowshoe's trails all seem too narrow to me, especially with the crowds they get.

Yup, it's just really hard to go fast anywhere in WV.

Personally, I much prefer Silver Creek myself, but my group made the call without checking it out since there was a time issue with getting the refunds. My favorite trails on in all of Snowshoe are the two blacks all the way on the far side of Silver Creek. Yummy.