Note to New Members ×

SporTubes and cars

kjl

Yeah, I know; I used the search function - didn't find what I needed.

Is there a way to clip sportubes to my roof rack bars? Or if not, and I need to go the bungee cord route, is there a place to thread the cord so the tube definitely can't slip forward or backwards off the car?

Just use flat tie-downs rather than bungee cords and pull them really tight. You know the ones with the spring loaded grip lock thingee (I know what I mean, even if you don't). I tie things on my roof with those that are WAY bigger than a sport tube and don't have any place holds, and they stay on fine. Also, if you put a thin-ish piece of rubber between your roof racks and your sport tube, this will also help stop it from sliding around, either sideways or forwards/backwards.

You can get cheap ones from your local department store or hardware store probably. Try Walmart or somewhere like that. You don't need to spend massive bucks on the super good ones if you don't want. Just keep an eye on the edges (not the end, that doesn't matter, but the sides along the middle of the webbing) and if they start to fray, throw them out and get new ones.

Ken,

Go to one of the BIG BOX stores, Home Depot or Lowes, and I think you will find what you need. And if you really want to protect your (board) edges buy some of the pre-slit foam pipe insulation; secure with big rubber bands or long strips of velcro. Might want to use the foam to protect any clothing you might pack in the tube from getting cut by sharp edges.

Ken,

Go to one of the BIG BOX stores, Home Depot or Lowes, and I think you will find what you need. And if you really want to protect your edges buy some of the pre-slit foam pipe insulation; secure with big rubber bands or long strips of velcro.

I was referring to the edges of the tie down straps, but I guess my comment applies to boards too. If they edges start to fray, just throw them out and get new ones!!! :biggthump