Note to New Members ×

Local Intel Request - Stowe, VT

Algunderfoot

Just a call out to any Stowe area locals.

I just pulled the trigger on a last minute buisness trip to the Northeast that will have me in Vermont for this weekend. It has been over 20 years since my last visit, and while I don't expect to repeat that memory (those were the days), I am hoping to get some insider tips on the best options for two days of riding, conditions and weekend lodging in the area. I am looking for reasonable cheep digs <= $100/nt, and within walking distance of village nightlife and watering holes.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Al

Stowe = STUPID expensive. Since you're going on a weekend, drive the extra couple of minutes and head to Smuggler's Notch. It's a kickin mountain that's very carver friendly. Killington is also good, but not on a weekend. I would advise you to stay somewhere between Smuggs and Killington, ride at Smuggs during the day and hit the Killington Nightlife after the lifts stop turning.

Unless you're willing to foot the bill for stowe, then by all means go. It's a hell of a mountain. But at almost $80 a day for tickets alone...it's not enough mountain to bring me in.

Edit: Just kidding about splitting Stowe and Killington...I forgot how far apart they are :smashfrea . Split between Smuggs for riding and stowe's nightlife, but good luck finding a sub $100 room in Stowe. If you look hard enough, you probally can. Good luck and have fun!

I am looking for reasonable cheep digs <= $100/nt, and within walking distance of village nightlife and watering holes.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you want a memorable night w/ up to twelve of your closest friends on the mountain (off the top of the quad, right at the top of the Nosedive), you might want to check out the Stone Hut.

It is not a five-star B&B and it's far from the amenities in town, but if you like adventure it's well worth an overnight visit. It's especially good to book the night of a winter storm so you can bag first tracks the next day.

If you want a memorable night w/ up to twelve of your closest friends on the mountain (off the top of the quad, right at the top of the Nosedive), you might want to check out the Stone Hut.

It is not a five-star B&B and it's far from the amenities in town, but if you like adventure it's well worth an overnight visit. It's especially good to book the night of a winter storm so you can bag first tracks the next day.

Stone Hut is great but it's a lottery, good luck.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/stonehut.cfm

check out

Mount Mansfield Hostel

6992 Mountain Road, Stowe, Vermont 05672

(802) 253-4010

skidorm@together.net

or

Stowe Bound Lodge(802)253-4515

open year round12 bedsrates ?? pp

On a sheep farm in Northern Vermont. Skiing, Hiking. Close to Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory.

it's been a long time since I've stayed at either.Consider Sugarbush too.

http://matterhornbar.com/

and The Rusty Nail

1190 Mountain Road

Stowe, VT

Mad Mountain Tavern- Waitsfield/Warren, VT

Gallagher's Bar & Grill

Waitsfield, VT 05673