Note to New Members ×

Knee Brace options?

Mr.E

Just dislocated my knee today on the hill. Along with hoping the nausea from the meds passes, I'm looking for hinged knee braces with some knee padding. i think i may be able to get work to kick in some for it (as it happened on the job), but am looking for something reasonably affordable, that doesn't run so low it screws the fit of my Raichles. The EVS Web looks sweet, but is out of my price range.

Any options or opinions?

check out the Asterik Cell knee brace. It is the one I am looking at purchasing. It is a brace that is getting rave reviews in the Moto world and seems to have the versatility to be used in any sport

http://www.dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0609_knee_brace_buyers_guide/index.html

This link gives a good review of over the counter knee braces including pros and cons of each one reviewed. The Asterisk brace is page 11

check out the Asterik Cell knee brace. It is the one I am looking at purchasing. It is a brace that is getting rave reviews in the Moto world and seems to have the versatility to be used in any sport

http://www.dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0609_knee_brace_buyers_guide/index.html

This link gives a good review of over the counter knee braces including pros and cons of each one reviewed. The Asterisk brace is page 11

I've seen independent testing of the Asterix and it is good but not great. Still, it is the best that is on the market to date.

Fox are doing a new one called Pod which I have a couple of samples of (it is an Aussie design). In fact it should be almost available by now in the US.

I have used that riding and it was awesome. It didn't affect my Deeluxe fit at all (and I have very short legs). If you want some details e-mail gm@sonicaustralia.com

I own a cell braces. i just haven't used it in snowboarding. been usin' it in my motorcycle, and its real assuring after i almost ripped my knees with those cheap-a$$ thor force knee pads. decided it'd be better to cough up 600 bucks for those braces than 6000 or more at the hospital.

ive wondered what itd be like to use 'em when im riding. i may use 'em and shin guards, hip/thigh pads, back support, forearm/shoulder and wrists when i go ski in the park. just to protect myself. but we'll see cuz it does feel a bit cumbersome to be wearing all those.

I ride every day with a Breg kneebrace.

I love it - fits above the Raichle's, supportive, fits well. Only complaint is that the high calf-strap can pinch the meat behind my knee if I'm playing soccer or something, but I have that strap overly tightened because my PCL is torn. It is not a problem when I snowboard, and it wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to strap that one down so hard.

Thanks guys-

After reading the Dirt Rider reviews, I ended up going for the Web afterall. If it turns out to be to long for my boots to fit, I'll likely return it and exchange for a Cell. My main concern with the cell was all the extra lacing and chaffing. I'll let you know how it goes when my knee is game.

Yesterday my thigh was as big around as my wifes waist, and my knee was the size of my other thigh. Today everything is down a few inches, a trend I hope will continue. :biggthump

I know that the Cell's have some flex at the hinges, are the Pod's stiffer or better in other areas?

They are full carbon fibre brace with some sort of new kevlar strand technology in the hinge which improves the breaking strain to way beyond anything currently in the market. Put these two factors together and there is basically zero flex through the brace, particularly the hinge. They only go where they are meant to go. At least, that was my feeling when I used them.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 116759" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>dantheman0177</TD><TD class=alt2>They are full carbon fibre brace with some sort of new kevlar strand technology in the hinge which improves the breaking strain to way beyond anything currently in the market. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Please specify... which brand are the full carbon? Thanks

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 116759" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>dantheman0177</TD><TD class=alt2>They are full carbon fibre brace with some sort of new kevlar strand technology in the hinge which improves the breaking strain to way beyond anything currently in the market. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Please specify... which brand are the full carbon? Thanks

OK, just got the confirmation that the website is up and running. Check out the details, etc at www.podmx.com

Guest tdinardo

I went into my brace expedition thinking I wanted a pair of CTi's and after trying them found that they just didn't fit my legs correctly. I tested both the CTi and the Donjoy and ended up going with the Donjoy. The Donjoy's fit me a lot better and they are a lot thinner so they go under gear without issues. I can even get them under a tight padded spandex race suit without issue. I would really recommend finding a local company that specializes in fitting knee braces so you can try them on and ensure that the fit is really correct.

Hope this helps.

Tom.