Note to New Members ×

has anyone ever had a disc bulge or compressed spine?

snow|3oarder

I went to a couple doctors and chiropractors to get a final accurate diagnosis.I did not trust chiropractors till after going through two differrent doctors I went for a treatment to a little tiny girl here in our little town of waterford. She told me I had two discs out of wack.One in the neck and one in my lower back.Both from leaning over a light table (printing business) for 25+ years. She would adjust it however and it would just pop right back out.She did not agree with doctors though and after consulting my family doctor and getting an MRI scan and xrays, I finally found a pain management guy here in erie, pa. He did the needles which most people hate.However for me a once every 6 months treatment of a cortisone shot near the effected nerve doe sthe trick.I should add that I drive with a good stiff low lumbar pad and sleep on a "space foam" type mattress. Temper Pedic I think, but there are good knockoffs being made by most mattress companies. I also take neurontin in a pinch ( long flights or drives).But everyones differrent. Really get the input from a reliable neurosurgeon type practitioner. Alleve sometimes works well enough also.Lots of luck.The main thing is not to let it go for too long.It just gets worse sometimes. :biggthump

I had a compressed lumbar vertebra from a jump and hard landing on ice. Drove to ER in extreme pain and got a CT and spent the night in the hospital I worked at. This was 8 years ago and now avoid hard landings if possible. Go get a MRI or CT to check it out. Its not worth the risk of a further spinal injury. I work now as a Rph in the local trauma hospital and you definately do not want to end up as a para or have some kind or chronic pain issue. I had to lay of riding for the rest of the year and wear a back brace till things healed up but now good as ever. I did and still do back exercises/stretching which does wonders for pain. Also swimming has really helped too.

Please see your MD .

Jim

depending on what you mean by "compressed spine" you have several options ranging from mild and noninvasive to radical and extremely invasive. As a chiropractor I would of course recomend trying the non invasive first. With disc specific injury I would recomend a Specific type of chiropractor. You can get a referral in your area from Gonstead.com or Gonsteadseminar.com this is a tried and true technique that is very specific and designed around the disc. I work with serious disc cases regularly with good results. I would suggest you seek medical care if you have bowel and bladder control issues as well as any loss of muscle control. A truly serious blown disc can cause caudae equine syndrome and is a bona fide medical emergency. up to that point your best chance at a positive outcome with the least effect on your favorite activities is at a good chiropractor. I also work with many people suffering from failed back surgery issues. once they cut you the scar tissue is permanent and can be serious problem. If the bone is disurbed at the periosteum,overcalcification and excess spurring can cause problems. Research thoroughly any choice you make and if you choose surgery I would also recomend the less invasive option listed above in the previous response. Let me know where you are and I can perhaps find you a good chiro to visit. I would stay away from diversified technique in your case as the rotation is not well tolerated by a hot disc.