Note to New Members ×

Tinkler Split Nose Proto-Type

Yes indeed! Very keen eye there! The Tinklers I have been riding this past season have (except for the Ryan M Board) all had either a Driver Plate with Snow-Stix or a Bindings Plate on them. This proto type felt very light and perhaps on the softer side of what I have been riding. My comment to Mike was " I can't wait to try one built with a Driver Plate and built for me!". Hint , hint. So to answer that very perseptive question, a hardy "YES SIR". That has , and is happening right now

I genuinely expected it to be another half season before these were made available to clients Mike has been so pleased with the design outcome that he offered the option to some of the most recent orders. I am hoping to hear back soon on the how the latest T n T Split System board is performing on snow. There is no doubt that Anton Poque will be putting it to the test in his legendary "no holes barred" spirit, zeal and energy. Another reason to excited about the rapidly approaching new season. :biggthump

My question is, how will the TNT Split perform under great conditions compared against other top of a line board... but I somehow have the feeling this thing really works.

Seems another exiting season is ahead of us with many news products available. Can’t wait for all the reviews.

Ray

The best way to answer that is to look at the personal results. I have been riding a good number of the top board brands available and I have been very pleased with their results. No question that the bar is being raised almost daily.

The question boils down to, what do I prefer to ride and what ends up in the truck on any given day? What was once my favorite board seldom gets to go out and play while the Tinklers are almost always what I am making turns on. (Unless it is a "Tanker Day") Like anything, you tend to use what works the best for you. Your favorite bike, skateboard, snowboard, whatever works for you.

FYI, yes, there will be some boards up for sale soon. Some of the locals have already claimed their favorites :eplus2:

does that mean we will be seeing some purple fingerprint boards on ebay soon? not likely!

Not likely, but if you do, it should be a red flag that I am in deep do-do.

That board will likely be in the quiver for years to come. I had hoped to bring John out of retirement to give those another run. We were very close, just didn't happen. You know me well Dave.

hmmm, looks like a great smooth ride :biggthump It seems it sacrifices a lot of skidability, but hey its a carving board.

Pow, depends allot on the specific board. Most of the boards I have had built for myself are not particularly good at skidding, although that can come in handy, I am willing to deal with that to ensure I have a knife edge that holds when it is important. Which is pretty much all the time ;) Another good observation though. Bryan

For fear of overstating the obvious: Tuning has a huge effect on this.

Definitely looks like it works Bryan :biggthump

Thanks for sharing!

The fact that you were riding in mid-June...NO FAIR :mad: ;)

I need to plan a late spring/early summer trip to Hood

My pleasure Kirk.

Absolutely! The time between the end of most ski areas season and the beginning of the summer "Camp" season is ideal. The most area available, cheaper lift tickets, no crowds and excellent snow conditions.

By this time of year it can be a bit of a "Zoo".

Happy to turn my back yard into a "Carvers Campground", keeping in mind I am an hour and half from Mt Hood. Plenty of cheap hotels in Portland and staying in the Hood River area has huge bonuses too.

Not likely, but if you do, it should be a red flag that I am in deep do-do.

That board will likely be in the quiver for years to come. I had hoped to bring John out of retirement to give those another run. We were very close, just didn't happen. You know me well Dave.

THAT board? dont you have like four of them?

sorry to hear about McGinnis...but isnt the Garage thing goin?

I'd love to see a picture of that board in action !

Actually there was a Hot Prototype around 1992-1993 with a full split board carving. It was tested then by alexis parmentier of the hot pro team. I remember the picture showed the edge side was fully bent in the turn, while the other half was rather straight...strange...

The board halfes were only connected at the bindings.Forgot what the issues were then with that board, but it was abandoned. I'll try to dig the article+pic and scan it, or even contact alexis on the topic to have his memory review on it... one last thing is the board looked pretty dangerous for other slope users since the two edges at the tip are quite sharp and pointy ! If you hit someone while in a turn, it looks like a can opener almost !

Nils

Hi Nils, love to see the photos and article. Hot is/was a great board building company.

My experience is the flex is not so dramatic as to make the inside edges threatening. I may have additional video of the board being flexed that might help in demonstrating this. The corners are certainly not nearly as sharp as a Nitro Pow-Pow or any number of Swallowtails we all love ;) It actually forms almost a 90 degree angle at the split. Of course hitting someone with any snowboard is probably something we all want to avoid. Look forward to the info you mentioned.

Thanks, Bryan

The new boards do not have the extra inserts and flex shunts. This was a part of the testing phase. Providing adjustablility in an effort to pin point the "where" and "how much" factors.

I think it would be great to keep those extra inserts and flex shunts... maybe good to be able to adjust the flex for the split nose/tail, if desired.

Even if the board is build to riders specs I think it makes a great performance feature. Much easier to have the board build with it right from the beginning...

Let's see what the production split boards look like once they roll out.

Btw, can you actually have more than one driver plate (diff stiffness) with one board to change if wanted?

Thx

Ray

I think it would be great to keep those extra inserts and flex shunts... maybe good to be able to adjust the flex for the split nose/tail, if desired.

Btw, can you actually have more than one driver plate (diff stiffness) with one board to change if wanted?

Thx

Ray

Mike can build it anyway the client likes.

The impression I got from Mike is that he was REALLY happy the way the split nose and the driver plate / binding plate worked together.

To be clear. One driver plate on one board.

You bet. Templates of the driver/binding plates are kept on file. The plates are constructed much like a snowboard. They are designed to work with a specific board / rider however another can be made to replace the original.

Mike built plates for years prior to a time his clients finally talked him into building complete systems.

The variety of materials , shapes, flex is endless. Very nice feature of Duo Construction board systems.

Mike can build it anyway the client likes.

The beauty of custom work :biggthump

To be clear. One driver plate on one board.

The plates are constructed much like a snowboard. They are designed to work with a specific board / rider however another can be made to replace the original.

Sorry, must be my English :) I didn’t mean to have more than one driver plate on the board at the same time. I meant if an owner of a Tinkler could own more than one driver plate with a different stiffness, so these could be changed if different stiffness would be desired. Seems the driver plate is designed to go with the board, so that answers the question.

Thanks for your feedback Bryan!

Ray

Hi Ray, yes, I understood . I just put that in just in case my "Metric English" was lacking ;)

You could order additional plates that are stiffer, softer, different materials Etc. Mike could build a plate to fit any previously built board going back to even the MLY 183cm Race. However , in the case of the MLY , the plate would be more expensive than the board. You would have a killer set up. A Plate for my 183cm Race is one of the many things I would like to have Mike build for me. This was the first board designed from the factory to accept one of Mike's plates. (actually the black model made the year before) Before all the MLY Race owners write please understand the price is likely in the 3 to 500$ range. Thanks for the good questions Ray. Bryan

I really like the square nose design... maybe looks a little funny in real life and must see first, but again, always dig new ideas... well, not sure if some other board builder did this in the past, but have not seen it lately... so it's cool :biggthump

• 1 month later...