Note to New Members ×

Making room for my toes

NateW

I have a set of UPZs with Intuition liners and there isn't quite enough room up front for my toes. I have been thinking that it might help to put something in there, roughly the size of my foot but slightly longer, to pack the liner down over the summer. Once upon a time I saw a wooden device made for this purpose, the front and back parts could be cranked apart after being stuffed into a shoe or boot, but I have no idea where I saw it... does anyone know where I can find something like that?

What you are looking for sounds very similar to the shoe trees I use to keep my 'work' shoes in good shape. The only problem is that they are spring loaded so you can't really crank them as such; but, perhaps you could use some sort of spacing element (a block of wood maybe) to maintain the necessary packing force. As for finding them, I purchased my when I bought my shoes, so I'm under the impression that most places that sell dress shoes would have them. They were $30(Can) for ones made of cedar and $15 for plastic

I think it would be better to re-mold with a slightly bigger toe cap, OR simply take them to a fitter and have them stretched a tiny bit. I dont think they can get much out of the length, but maybe that combined with moldable liners will help you.

They were molded with the biggest toecaps the fitter had... I think the shells might be too small, but I'm not sure yet. If I can pack 1/8" out of the liners this summer I might be able to avoid getting the shell modified this fall.

KK9, thanks for the tip. I'll try a shoe shop or two.

I have a set of UPZs with Intuition liners and there isn't quite enough room up front for my toes. I have been thinking that it might help to put something in there, roughly the size of my foot but slightly longer, to pack the liner down over the summer. Once upon a time I saw a wooden device made for this purpose, the front and back parts could be cranked apart after being stuffed into a shoe or boot, but I have no idea where I saw it... does anyone know where I can find something like that?

Boot stretchers are fairly common and available online or at any full service shoe store.

Realistically, a few boot fitters on this site told me (when I had the same problem) that unless the shells are heated a lot, the stretching doesn't do much to the shell.

For the liner, best thing I found was jus stick a rounded screw driver into the liner, and use a hammer to flatten out the foam. Yes, I already molded them, but my feet shape is odd and so even with toe caps, if felt like there was weight on the tops of my toes, and my big toe and small toe were pressured from the side.

Marked the spots off, bashed lightly with a hammer for about 5 min each boot, and presto, for the first time I actually can ride without crushed toes. The stretchers would do the same thing slower I guess, but probably won't pack out the area as much as a hammer.

Just make sure your hammer head is nice and smooth; and no need to bash that hard.

Only problem is now the boot has packed out around the ankle and is too big around that bit even after sticking in shims; hmmmm; if only they made silicon implants for feet :-)