Note to New Members ×

FAQs / Idiot Questions.

Guest g1ngerrevolution

Guest g1ngerrevolution

Is there an FAQ anywhere in here?

I've read my way through the Welcome Center (which is great) and some of the older threads.

However, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask;

What's the difference between Ski boots & dedicated carving boots? (And maybe more importantly, at what point is the added investment worthwhile?)

What advantages to cant give you? I now know (through the http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/feat_cant.cfm) article what cant & lift are, but if I was thinking of ordering disks, which set should I get, what do other people ride etc. (And Yes, I know, "Whatever feels natural" and "They're cheap enough to buy one of each) but a basic idea what to try would be nice)

Ok, the difference between ski boots and hard shell snowboard boots is that the sole on the board boots is shorter, has grips on it for skating, the flex pattern is different, and generally the cuff is a bit lower. Personally, I ride raichle AF700s (Deeluxe Indy). Canting helps to get you comfortable on the board, it aligns your knees so they are basicly straight, and once you get into racing circles or more advanced carving (even beginnners can benifit) it shifts your weight ever so slightly (or not) about on the board. Say you're racing, you want to be kinda forward on the board: more rear foor cant and more forward canting on the front foot. They control the way you carve a bit, as does your stance placement. As far as the discs: If you're worried about cost (NO OFFENCE TO FIN!!!) get cateks. They are infinitly adjustable in any direction, and I dunno, I love 'em. But the adjustability of them was what sold me on them. Oh, and the canting on the AF700 boot is to align your ankles if you need to, and to a minor degree that also works on your knee. Hope this helps!

-Justin

________

Varadero

I think a FAQ would be a pretty good idea. It could be one of the "sticky" threads at the top of the page, or perhaps merged with the "Rules and Guidelines" sticky thread.

This could be question number one:

Q. "I want to get into carving/alpine, but I don't know where to start. What should I do?"

A. Read the <a href="http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm">Welcome Center</a>.