Note to New Members ×

What Board to Ride This Weekend?

Sinecure

So I'm hooking up with some skiers and boarders this weekend for an end-of-season blowout at Mammoth. The plan is to hike and ride backcountry on Sat/Sun, then ride in the resort Mon/Tue. I heard there may be some exposed rocks in resort so I'm bringing my 171 Freecarve for that since its my most well-used board. For the backcountry part I'm debating between the FC and a 180 RaceCarve Coiler. The FC is lighter but the Coiler should float better on the corn and mush. If I take both I could have decently waxed boards all 4 days. So my question is whether anyone has an opinion on what to ride and when. I've got two boards waxed and ready to go either way. Oh, and I've got an ice axe and crampons for my boots. My backpack will carry my board either horizontally or vertically - any opinions on preference?

Your thoughts?

So I'm hooking up with some skiers and boarders this weekend for an end-of-season blowout at Mammoth. The plan is to hike and ride backcountry on Sat/Sun, then ride in the resort Mon/Tue. I heard there may be some exposed rocks in resort so I'm bringing my 171 Freecarve for that since its my most well-used board. For the backcountry part I'm debating between the FC and a 180 RaceCarve Coiler. The FC is lighter but the Coiler should float better on the corn and mush. If I take both I could have decently waxed boards all 4 days. So my question is whether anyone has an opinion on what to ride and when. I've got two boards waxed and ready to go either way. Oh, and I've got an ice axe and crampons for my boots. My backpack will carry my board either horizontally or vertically - any opinions on preference?

Your thoughts?

Stick to your rock board, hands down.

stay with the rock board +1...years ago i made it a rule to never spring ski/board with my good gear. As for horizontally or vertically??? Vertical will likely hit you in the thighs on the way up...horizontal will only catch your elbows ocasionally