Note to New Members ×

Longboard Suggestions?

kirtap

Lonerider:

Remember arpanet, I was a major player there; in case you do not remember just put a d in front of arpa, now you know. That was the trail blazer for the internet as we know it today. Lazy is staying on the fore front of technology from materials research to opto-electronics, to shaping the standards that affect technology today and tomorrow (FTTH fiber to the home) and participating in the exploration of the far reaches of this solar system, to staying active and participating in extreme sporting activities just to mention a few. But the lazy aspect I do not really enjoy is having unique skateboards that I do not have the time to set up. I will post pictures soon.

I think you underestimate the audience. If you are correct, then there is a need for skate shops (not virtual skate shops - internet). Of course the virtual skate shops is a race to the bottom - aka Walmart. For extremely knowledgeable guy like you, virtual skate shop is great and product is generally cheaper because of the overhead and you are not too concern with trying out products you may dislike.

monm0

I always wanted to use that photo :p It sounds like you feel Internet shops lack the personal touch of a brick and mortar location. I can understand that... PurpleSkunk is actually a store in San Francisco where you can try out around 30 different decks, trucks, and wheels to anyone who visits... but also provide a convenient way for people who don't have a local skate shop (and/or free long distance) to get good gear. You can still email/call them for knowledgeable help and advice (same with MileHighSkates.com).

Still a knock off. The only guy that can redesign his truck in Randal himself. I just wonder where these guys come from with knock off and then attempting to gain credibility.
If you had read the article I linked to, you would have gotten your answer:

Randal Fuller's trucks sparked a revolution in longboarding and racing. The DH and RII trucks have become so ubiquitous on performance skateboards that the very name Randal has become the paradigm for inverted-kingpin trucks. The native are restless, however, and here we'll review three well-designed alternatives: Holey Trucks from England, Crail SpeedTrucks from Brazil and Force Industries trucks from Australia. Each of them are well-designed, well-built contenders for the throne, and each has its own particular flavor.

We've ridden them for months, we've tried different setups, reviewed the chatter, excitement and analysis of countless riders participating in the Silverfish Forums and developed these reviews. Click through to check it out.

Reasons to Build the Better Mousetrap. Each of the manufacturers for these new trucks is located somewhere beset with very expensive costs to get Randals. Importation of the American-made Randal to South America, England and Australia is fraught with delay, uncertainty & expense for manufacturers of longboard completes, and the trucks often cost wholesalers nearly as much as the Amercian retail price! So, each had an incentive to develop a similar truck that would cost them less to acquire. Each did so. In the process, three different mindsets each took the opportunity to "resolve" quibbles they had with the Randal design/construction.

Click here to read the main part of the review

YOU HAVE CHOICES: exercise them. Rumors of Randal's demise may be premature, but there's no disputing that the competition is closing in with improvements.

Gavin at Holey made his trucks way lighter, used an hourglass bushing, changed the kingpin angle and orientation and abandoned the asymetrical hanger. He upgraded the method of casting to ensure accuracy over time and structural integrity to support the slender profile of his hanger. The boys at Crail used an ultralight, but oversized baseplate to save weight, a different kingpin angle somewhat in the middle of the Randal selection, a lightened hanger and also abandoned the asymetrical feature. The engineers at Force Industries focused on finite element analysis to recreate the Randal, but stronger and with more curves to it. They ensured accurate holes by design and manufacturing techniques, essentially mirrored the baseplate angles and incorporated the asymmetrical hanger design.

We can tell you the build quality and ease of assembly onto boards for each of these trucks has greatly surpassed what's available from Randal. We recommend any of these four trucks, particularly to those in markets other than the USA or where price is not a barrier to ownership.

You are correct in that they are copies, knock-offs, clones, imitations... whatever you want to call it. Still doesn't change the fact that they are made with better quality. Having "Randal" stamped on it can't cover the fact that their baseplates are often be misdrilled, their kingpin bores off axis, and their pivots to poorly-fitted (which I believe are the "well known issues" with Randals you glossed over by saying "I'm sure everyone knows" already)

I can totally understand that you as a commerical vendor would like to upport good companies that have done a lot for skateboarding. However, I don't feel like I have to do the same. I don't cares about brand names or who was the first to make it, or who was the best twenty years ago. I care about what works the best for me now, in the present. I don't believe in being loyal to a brand if their claim to fame was they "used to" be the best. So while I did say that Randals are the "gold-standard" of longboard trucks (read my previous post in this thread) and are really solid trucks, I don't hesistate to recommend other products that I have tried and like better.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest darrenloaded

Actually, as long as the deck is strong enough, you can drop any skateboard. Just cut a hole inbetween the truck holes, for the base of the truck to fit in. Drill holes to start the cuts. Then take the trucks apart and mount the base of the truck on top going through the board. you can even cut and add risers to lower it even more.

Darren

post-2013-141842218322_thumb.jpg

post-2013-141842218324_thumb.jpg

I feel as comfortable (if not more so) on 4 wheels as I do on snow. Though today I traded UP. I've spent years on 33--36" skateboards (mostly the shorter end of that spectrum). Today I took my new Gravity C39 out to the local skatepark...I felt retarded for the first hour then as I got to the exhaustion point I was able to move it around without over compensating. It has a lot more swing weight than I'm used to making rock and rolls much harder than before. Grinds were about the same but carving was way way easier and though my speed was down due to not knowing the way it needs to be pumped. What was really cool was how long and high I was able to hold my carves, lines I used to slide off I was able to stay much higher on and for much longer. That alone has changed the shape of my lines. All in all other than some very sore calves and quads I love my new board :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

is it just me or do you guys feel safer an a snowboard than on a longboard?

It's simple - snow is a lot softer to fall on. Wearing pads can take a lot of the pain and risk out of longboarding, but I still prefer to fall on snow.

Doesn't stop me longboarding though...

Yeah, that was the biggest thing for me when I started longboarding. Just the fact that I was riding over hard pavement that would kill if I fell on it as opposed to falling and coasting on snow. But once I got used to that idea, its been a ton of fun and definetly worth it.

Guest darrenloaded

carving on pavement can be a little scary at first, but there are many things you can do to make it safe.

1. Always scope out your hills...make sure that they are not too steep for your ability, and/or that there is a "run out" at the end. A "run out" is kinda like a runaway truck ramp...some flat to up hill road to finish on....try a drive way that goes up hill.

2. Learn to Foot Brake. It is a very usefull way to stop and can be used in a pinch. Every longboarder should know how to do this.

3. Slide to slow down. You can give it a little at the apex of the turn and the wheels will fudge a little slowing you down...OR get some gloves...grab the rail on a heel side...drop a gloved hand to the road...and lean over the pavement more than you would normaly...you want to do it all at once. You don't want to go into a slide slowely or it won't slide. nothing to everything. there are other slides you can learn as well...they are all very fun.

4. Always wear a helmet...everyone makes mistakes sometimes when riding....don't be stupid.... wear a helmet.

these are things that will open the world of skating to you...I love the fact that i can carve from my front door every day in the summer.:1luvu: