Note to New Members ×

Summit County Vs. Aspen

timinor

If money was no object, would you spend the winter riding in Summit County or in Aspen?

Compare carving conditions and the carving community as the criteria but feel free to comment on other aspects of the two communities.

Since money is no object... :lol: ..... I would choose Aspen but then again that's my local hill. If you get a place slopeside on any of the 4 mtns then not only do you have that going for you but you can ride the other 3 without driving a car. Sometimes we hit in 1 day Aspen mtn, Highlands & Buttermilk. that may be a bit tougher to do in Summit. Plus the SES is there and there must be a reason why they go to Aspen instead of staying in Summit.

As for riding partners it's probably equal. Great groups in both areas. But I'll admit the Aspen guys get kind of spread out since all 4 mtns are so easily accessible.

As for crowds, my only experiences other than Aspen is Beaver and Loveland. Aspen mtns have them beat on less traffic with the exception of Snowmass.

Either way it's all good, you'll ride everyday. the decision then is purely $$$$. Everything costs more in Aspen.

Joel

Joel said:

I would choose Aspen but then again that's my local hill.

How easy is it to rent an apartment in Aspen? It doesn't have to be slopeside but It would be nice to be located so you can use the bus system.

What do they run?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit biased, but I love Aspen. Yeah, housing and food and everything is pretty expensive, but the quality of life, the relaxed lifestyle, the people, the mountains and the lack of people all make it an insane place to live. The groomers are great, and the steeps are better. The backcountry in the area is easily accessable and ridable all season long.

The best part is the bus system. You can catch a bus from pretty much anywhere in the valley, and be at any of the mountains quite quickly. I'm out pretty much every day, and I hit up mainly ajax and snowmass, which are my two favorites. I live right in town, and the bus stops right in front of my house. You should have no problem finding a place to live in the surrounding area, namely Cemetary Lane, Castle creek and Maroons creek areas.

Any questions? Hit me up via e-mail.