Note to New Members ×

Considering Shorter/Stiffer. Advice?

trucker

Looking for some advice here. I've been riding for 2 years, started on RT 163. Liked it, but it washed out on me a lot. Upgraded to RT 173 and I am finding that this is beginning to wash out as well when I really try to drive into it. Plus with the larger size, it's only comfortable at high speeds and big turns. Thinking if I go shorter (160s) and stiffer (perhaps Burton FP) I'll have greater versatility and a board that will hold it's line without skidding. Any advice out there? I am too much of a rookie and perhaps not riding right? Or does anyone else find the RTs to be a little flexy? Note: I am 6'2", 210lbs. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need a custom, or at least a stiffer production board. Try to demo an Oxygen Proton, 178 or 185 would work well for you, maybe an FP, but it would have to be an older one or your weight will overpower it. The bigger F2 or Nideckers would also be stiffer than what you are currently using.

Im sure Chris at Prior, Sean at Donek or Bruce at Coiler would be glad to help you out with a custom board, but if you're inclined that way, try Prior first as they have quite a few used and demo boards for sale at reasonable prices. www.priorsnowboards.com

Not sure about Donek, not at Coiler.

I would avoid the FP. I have been through three of them in two years. When they're new they ride great, but by the time you have 15 days on the board, it is completely dead. It will still hold an edge, but not nearly as good as when it was new, and it will also have zero camber and no 'pop' whatsoever.