Note to New Members ×

Head Stratos issues

uku

Hi!

Just ordered a pair of those boots. Measured my feet to be 28.5 and the same number I got from the store. However when I try to wear them then my first three toes of the left foot get really tight, uncomfortable, bit folded. Can it be possibly improved by heating the liners or are they too small. Has anyone experienced moldo size being too small in real life?

Just read about the fingertest. Gonna do it tomorrow

Also, I ordered F2 normal bindings but got step-ins instead... But Head boots are not step-in compatible in the first place. Thus they need to be drilled etc. Problem is, that the company didn't ship me nor those clips to be put in the boot or the cable to be attatched. Is that normal? Where could I get them, should I decide not to exchange my bindings?

Thanks in advance!

Uku,

The boots don't need to be drilled to use with step in bindings. You just need to purchase the Intec heels, which Bomber sells, and they will screw right onto the boot.

As for the size issue, first thing is to do the shell test and if they are the right size one thing that might help is using a toe cap when you mold the liners. I have the same boots and had the liners molded by a boot fitter and they used the toe cap.

Randy

Heat fit them with a toe cap. All should be well. Although mine fit pretty well before the heating.

My latest issues are with the screws that hold the toe piece on the sole. They keep coming out. I put larger ones in and ground them off inside. Hopefully that'll help. Also the screws that hold the tongue to the boot come off. I've got new ones on there now. Otherwise pretty darn good boots.

Mine were really tight and uncomfortable when I first got them.

I just wore them everynight around the house for an hour or so. After a couple of weeks they were sweet.

Now after about 15 days riding in them they feel better than ever, although the footbeds are starting to fall to pieces. Time for some customs, what better excuse do I need?:biggthump

thanks for the replies.

finger test was passed..kinda :)

i was able to curve my index finger behind the heel but couldn't move that much. will look into toe cap heating. do regular rental offices/shops have those? even those that sell onlz ski boots?

today gonna mount a rental binding and use a ski boot :D

thread a screwdriver head or something into the toe area, and gently with a hammer hit the foam enough times intil it packs down.

you might want to put some tape on the hammer head so there are no burrs.

It saves 15 days of packing out, the toe area is not critical anyway.

Also...food beds should help too.

BTW if you have step in bindings, then ski boots aren't going to help either. YOu need the step in heel.

Hi, Uku!

If you haven't found, then Carver's Almanac contains all the info you need (and little bit more :D)

If you have new boots, then they are most likely intec-compatible and there is no need for drilling or anything, handling screwdriver should be enough.

If you are looking for Intec heels or regular bindings, then I might help you: I have intec heels on my old boots (which I do not use anymore) and if needed, then I can dismount them. Also I have old F2 Intec Titanium bindings as I bought new ones after I read number of reports about binding bails breaking :freak3: and I keep them as source for spare parts but I can sell/lend them to you, if needed.

Intec heels can also ordered from net (bomberonline sells them, but faster would be probably to order them from blue tomato or ask from finnish carving site ojankaivajat.org )

For bootfitting problem one solution could be to try thinner socks (usually snowboarding socks are quite thick, I prefer ski socks, which are thick only in shin area and lower part is much thinner). But best would be to thermofit liners, of course.

thanks for the replies.

finger test was passed..kinda :)

i was able to curve my index finger behind the heel but couldn't move that much. will look into toe cap heating. do regular rental offices/shops have those? even those that sell onlz ski boots?

today gonna mount a rental binding and use a ski boot :D

Uku,

I don't know if the liners for the Stratos are like the thermofits. If they are, you can mold them yourself. There are some other discussions here about molding liners - good advice from yyzcanuck on his website.

The way it works is that the thermofit liners expand when heated. You put your foot into a hot liner. Then put foot and hot liner into boot, tap heel to form a pocket, and buckle loosely. Stand quietly in boot for about 15 minutes while it cools. When done it fits perfectly.

The toecap is a way to ensure that you have room to wiggle toes when the molding is finished. You could probably cut the toe out of an old pair of heavy socks. I made my own from bits of cloth and little strips of duct tape. The idea is that during the molding process, you want to make your toes (but only the toes) take up more room than normal so that there will be extra space in that area of the boot. In addition to the toecap, also put a little tissue between your toes.

Hi!

Just ordered a pair of those boots. Measured my feet to be 28.5 and the same number I got from the store. However when I try to wear them then my first three toes of the left foot get really tight, uncomfortable, bit folded. Can it be possibly improved by heating the liners or are they too small. Has anyone experienced moldo size being too small in real life?

Each manucturer seems to have a different way of measuring. Deeluxe's 27 was ok for me (I had too much heel lift, so I did not buy them), but I needed 28 in the Stratos. - The 27.5 I rode a couple of times was too small and gave my toes lots of pain. (BTW should I try to sell the 27.5 now on *bay or is it already too late at this time of the year?)

Also, I ordered F2 normal bindings but got step-ins instead... But Head boots are not step-in compatible in the first place. Thus they need to be drilled etc.

No, they don't need to be drilled, you just need to replace the heels with intec heels.

Problem is, that the company didn't ship me nor those clips to be put in the boot or the cable to be attatched. Is that normal?

Yes, it is, boots, bindings and heels are sold separately.

I don't know if the liners for the Stratos are like the thermofits.

The stratos features a thermofit liner, i.e. it has small areas in the heel and tongue that conform to the shape of your foot through body heat, or by using heat hoses (quote carvers almanac). This is not a fully head-moldable "Thermo Flex" liner. Putting it in a convection oven will probably kill the liner.

The stratos features a thermofit liner, i.e. it has small areas in the heel and tongue that conform to the shape of your foot through body heat, or by using heat hoses (quote carvers almanac). This is not a fully head-moldable "Thermo Flex" liner. Putting it in a convection oven will probably kill the liner.

Thanks, that's good to know. Wow confusingly similar names (I had totally telescoped them) yet very different design.