Note to New Members ×

problem with heelside turns

DiveBomber

SO while im waiting for new bindings....

I can do toeside turns fine, but on my heelside, I seem to skid and if I try harder ill slide out.

But the other thing is, when i am in a heelside and going back to toeside it almost feels like im falling into the next turn before the board comes back under me, and am afraid that one time i actually will fall.

Sometimes i feel like im squating into the turn and NOT facing forward, BUT when i do try to turn my shoulders it feels like im sinking into my body and the board it turning to much, but i feel like if i try to lean more im going to loose the edge and slide.

I mean if i put my wieght on the front foot the board seems like it turns too hard and throws me off.

ive tried but pulling my rear leg back or pushing me rear knee forward, and im still not sure what to do.

Any tips, in plain english? Ive tried to read all instructions, but by the time i get on the mountain its all forgotten

SO while im waiting for new bindings....

I mean if i put my wieght on the front foot the board seems like it turns too hard and throws me off.

For initiating your turn it is good to have more weight on your front foot , but during the turn you should put gradually more weight on your rear foot for the board to carve smoothly through the turn.

Furthermore, try and stay with your butt (sorry) above your board in the heelside turn. Many people tend to counter-rotate at the end of their heelside turn and put their butt out next to their board. It seems like they start their frontside turn already before finishing their heelside turn! Try to stay longer in the position where you are rotated with the turn and keep your rear hand to your front knee.

I hope this will work for you, difficult to see what your exact problem is without pictures/movie.

Good luck!

Erwin

Photos and visual images have been helpful to me in addition to the text. If you can't make it to an SES, just check out some of the photos.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10040 (SES photo shoot on gallery)

and also

http://www.pureboarding.com/pureboarding/ has some photos from their World carving session out here. There style with the eurocarve is a little different though.

I've felt like on heel side I need to stay low, forward, and agressive. Stay on the front of that board and let it rip around. If you drift your weight to the back, you will find the board skidding out/ chattering.

Toe-side: just dive into it. Try some J turns. Start out straight down a steep green/easy blue. Gradually lay over into a toe-side turn. Keep going all the way over. Your goal is to have your entire body fall onto the snow at the end of the turn (maybe 6 inches). Don't colapse at the waist. Keep your full body aligned.