Note to New Members ×

Side Cut When??

Guest Tim Tuthill

Guest Tim Tuthill

I have two friends that started with Tom Sims and Chuck Barfoot here in So Cal. They have a collection of boards that go back to 1979. Sims was messing with side cut then on boards with no edges. Terry English and Frank Morales were the first guys to get on the euro boards in the mid 80'S. I was still skiing at Big Bear when I saw Terry on what was to become the carve board?? They tried to get me to change over, I'm kinda slow. Sooo here I am reading this remnmbering what I saw then. My Last pair of skiis were Rossi SM's?? I will try to get a pic and post it.

Tim--Your post jarred something loose in my memory about sidecut on a snow-skateboard-ski that was built by an old friend named Gary Tracy in Santa Cruz--Well know for building waterskis and boats.--He built 5-6 of these 140cm? long 20cm wide? with fins that ran from the center of the board to the tail--0" at center of board about 3/4" at tail. He was struggling to build the fins on the slight radius that he had on the board. It seams like he built these boards in 77 or 78. I rode them I think in 1978 off the tee boxes at the tahoe donner golf course on ice--I still remember the punishment i took. They went fast and only straight. They worked good on the sand dunes though--I think we put wd-40 on the bottoms for sand. The bindings on these boards consisted of two 5/8" pieces of shock cord down the center anchored with thick SS pad eyes. I think the cores of those boards was clark foam or Kelgacell foam.

He called his boards GarSkis

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hope you got my email. I will try to post a pic of Frank Morales' Sims board. When I started skiing in 59 we talked about surfing in the snow. Who was first Poppen with the Snurfer or Doyle with the Mono ski? Maybe others that read this can come up with some time frames??