Note to New Members ×

HELP--Flow bindings/Burton boots

Carp

Need some help guys. My wife has the original Burton SI boots and bindings, however broke the high back last season along with the springs on the tab. I haven't been really impressed with that binding. Her boots are a smidge too big for her but she doesn't complain and seems to be comfortable and has fun riding so I don't really want to do anything with boots if I can help it. I'm curious if anyone has any experience using the Burton SI (with the integrated ratchet removed from the boot) with the Flow bindings. I'm thinking the Amp (lower end model). I'm wondering if removing the ratchet, although necessary to work with the Flow binding, would cause significant heal lift. Also, the mold of the boot with easy in/out of the binding is a real concern as she liked the ease of the Burton, although she was still bending over to check tabs and clean out snow, etc. Would I like to get her into hard boots? yes. Is she ready? She just doesn't want to. Hope everyone in Colorado is staying safe. Heard there's a good storm rumbling through. Thanks for any input you guys have. I sincerely appreciate.

Later,

Carp

OK, I don't have any idea if you'll be able to run the Burting SI boots with the Flows. Best bet would probably be to go to a shop that carries Flow, and see how the interface works.

My opinion on Flows: I've been running them for softies for the past three seasons and I love them. In my opinion they give you all of the benefits of both straps and step-ins, without the disadvantages of either. No pressure points from the straps, and next-to no issue with snow on the bottom of the boot that you get with most step-in systems.

FWIW, I put my wife in Flows for her first season, and she still didn't like having to bend over to flip the highback up. (Which could be an issue with your wife as you mentioned.) I got her a pair of Device / Oxygen step-ins off of e-bay last year, and she seems happy with them so far (though she doesn't have many days in them.)

We sell all the stuff at the shop I ride for and I am sure it will fit I even have a friend who rides SI boots in Strap bindings. He has horrible ankles and needs the support. Since I was curious I grabbed The same set up and gave it a try. Heres what I thought.

STIFF. Way to stiff. I think your wife may have a hard time starting any type of turn in the combo. The flow binding is very supportive. When you double that up with a boot that is made to operate with out straps so it has some stiff and some soft points To flex as such. you may make her life worse. I would suggest putting here in new boots to match the new binding. Even if you spend 200 dollors more then you hoped. What is her comfort worth? And how much time or money would you invest in lessons to help her overcome the tough turn initiations seh will be faced with in her set up?

Billy

Great info. guys thank you for taking the time. My wife has ridden hard shells and after 1/2 day did like them but not enough over the comfort of soft boots. Do you think with that being said that the Burton SI with their extra stiffness over a conventional boot would as much of a problem. She's not into getting air born unless there's powder and is more of a carver and likes the feel of her boots. I'm just concerned now that either w/the forward lean from the flow's high back and other factors that you mentioned that it might not work so well. I was originally looking at this as a medium to hard boots so she could lay over some carves.