Note to New Members ×

kite snowboarding

Scott

Guest johann

I want that trimaran. That thing looks sick. I'd prolly wreck it though. Need to start on a hobi cat or something.

That video has em kite boarding in the snow w/ lei kites. I always tought that was a disadvantage. last time i was in hattaras i met a canadian that said his group only used air foil kites in the snow cause if they crashed the lei kites would continue to drag them. course they were on frozen lakes and had to carry ice picks just in case they did get dragged around so maybe that's a little different than on a field.

too much fun stuff to do in the wind!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also it's much easier to relaunch a foil kite in the snow than a lei,and the opposite in the water.

Foil kites are more stable through the gusty winds that blows on mountains wich makes lei to stall easier in the lulls.

Another advantage of foil kites is that you can use much smaller kite in the same wind because they have bigger surface of attack in the wind when they fly thing that makes them a lot more powerfull but with less depower than the inflatables.

Guest johann

So what are the good spots in new england for playing with a foil kite on snow?

I'm in the poughkeepsie area of new york and my home mountain is whiteface.

Hoping to nab a 6m slingshot foil for x-mas and see how free from injury i can stay.

I have been doing my own searching for open fields in PA. I have found some huge parking lots at high schools with no light posts b/c they arent used at night. I would intend on using the lots during the summer with a smaller kite just to get pulled around. Not looking to get any air or anything.

Tons of fields on farmland but most of it has the 8" corn stocks sticking up like bamboo chutes to go into your shins.

I'm just trying to figure out what different size and type of kites I would need for field riding in winter and possibly flatter fields in summer with a mountain board as well as parking lot riding. I'm not looking to getany air in the lots, just get pulled around when I cant get to the beach.

Long way before I get ride those areas but looking for info at this point.

Greg

Guest johann

willy, problem for me right now is gear wise I only have a 16m boxerII. That and skill wise I'm pretty much a downwinder. If I had more skillz I'd be there in a heartbeat.

How long the spring thermals last?

johann, best consistent wind is the spring and fall. You'd be surprised at how much you pick up in 5 days in Hatteras. You really need a 12 m kite to compliment the 16. The Boxer is a great kite to learn on.Maybe find an Aero 12 for cheap. Check out :582 kites for sale -this board is 7 miles from you and the same board I learned on for $250 http://www.ikitesurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl?db=kiteboards&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=23352&query=retrievalhttp://www.ikitesurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl?db=kiteboards&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines&category=Kites&query=category

post-123-14184220401_thumb.jpg

Guest jeremiah

Is there any place on Cape Cod that rents kites or provides instructions? I'm going to be staying near Eastham on the west side for a week in July, and am hoping to learn kite boarding, or at least give it a try.

At the very least I would like to come out and watch guys ride the kites. I'll bring beer. :)

Jeremiah

WW

That water was just a touch cold anyway. Willy, sorry we didnt hook up, but left 2 messages on Stevo's phone on Sat night and Sunday morning. I didnt get the message you left until about 4pm on Sunday. My answering service gives me messages late from time to time.

There should be other opportunities and I think we have a place to shack up now that we met our friends parents on the CApe.

Stay in touch and I hope you had some good riding.

Greg

chubz, sunday was kind of a wash compared to saturday. I spent too much time showing my buddy tom how to set up his gear, he's never ever other than his 1.8 trainer.The sun broke through later in the day, tho and warmed it up. I only kited for an hour or so sunday.This is my "home away from home" in Hyannis.Sleeps 6 but when the wife & kid aren't onboard there's 3 bunks for drunks.

post-123-141842204045_thumb.jpg

hope to get to hatteras again in the fall,today feels like a brisk october day 45 degrees raw and rainy. The current plan is Fortaleza, Brasil for the first 2 weeks of november.The new Best resort is coming together and the more the merrier.http://www.kiteflatwater.com/ my buddy stevo is doing alot of the architecture plans and has a hook up with best.I speak portuguese.should be fun.

post-123-141842204049_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johann

Thanks man. I'm hoping by next summer I can head out ther with you. Just need to cache some money away and get some kites in my quiver and I'll be set.

How long does the season at the cape last?

johann, Just pick up some 3 year old beater kites. We kite on the cape until november. Some nuts kite all winter. Frankenstein kites with several repairs fly almost as good as fresh kites and if yer a beginner, It won't matter.

Originally posted by willywhit

chubz, sunday was kind of a wash compared to saturday. I spent too much time showing my buddy tom how to set up his gear, he's never ever other than his 1.8 trainer.The sun broke through later in the day, tho and warmed it up. I only kited for an hour or so sunday.This is my "home away from home" in Hyannis.Sleeps 6 but when the wife & kid aren't onboard there's 3 bunks for drunks.

Willy, you shoulda seen how deep the snow drift was up against your "home away from home" this winter. It was amost completely buried in a snow drift with all the snow we had.

Give me a heads up sometime when you are down at your buddies on Ocean St, I'd love to meet up with you sometime as I live around the corner, The first thing I thought of last weekend when I saw a kite in the air from my backyard was if it was you that was out on the water at Kalmus.

The telltale sign that photo was Kalmus was the M/V 'B'Eagle in the background.

hang, Did we meet on the beach with your wife and kid when my buddy alex was having trouble when the wind switched offshore a few weeks ago ?I tried to email you directly but it's blocked.This w/e looks bleak for wind but we'll prob be out at Egg Island wakeboarding, etc. Stop by the "voodoo lounge" RV. there's always plenty of aloha and margaritas flowing~WW~ps. check out this article: http://www.ack.net/Kiteboarders061605.html

post-123-141842204091_thumb.jpg