Note to New Members ×

burton plates

paappraiser

I wonder some of the breakage could be attributed to riding style/aggressiveness/finesse? Also, some folks are fortunate to ride many days each season, which could equate to a a bindings "lifetime" in one season in comparison to some folks who may only ride 5 or 10 days each year, but have no issues for 5 or 6 years.

Couple more theories:

Would riding a stiff and less forgiving boards require more effort to flex, thereby putting more stress on the bindings?

Would a stiff race board transmit more vibrations/shock, be transmitted directly through the bindings versus more shock being absorbed through a softer flexing board first?

I rode them for years and always seemed to break one set a year. Buy 2 sets so that you have replacement parts. The bails will frequently break . Only once did I have a major failure in soft corduroy where the 4x4 stayed on the board and ripped the whole frame of the binding off on my back foot. The frame stayed attached to my foot but the plastic teeth that interfaced with the 4x4 plate totaly ripped out. I weigh 190lbs . Once you go to intecs you will never go back.

Originally posted by hangten247

Couple more theories:

Would riding a stiff and less forgiving boards require more effort to flex, thereby putting more stress on the bindings?

Would a stiff race board transmit more vibrations/shock, be transmitted directly through the bindings versus more shock being absorbed through a softer flexing board first?

If you're relying on the bindings to flex the board, you're doing something wrong.

If you're regularly breaking bales, you're doing something wrong. Guys who break bales usually have problems with moving their feet together as a pair (thus twisting the board) and also with pushing sideways on the boots/rolling along the foot.

Originally posted by P06781

Once you go to intecs you will never go back.

Actually, I'd say about half of the people who buy intecs end up selling them before the end of the season.

I guess you and I are trying to say the same thing Mirror, but I think you said it better.

Seems like there could be too much twisting and bending going on with the bindings which could be making them break, almost like fighting the system rather than going with the flow.

I'm puzzled why they break because I'm much bigger than most riders I meet. I've never broken one myself, which is why I can only theorize why they are breaking.

I also wonder if higher angles would mean less chance for breakage, as possibly riders are putting less twisting/rocking on the bindings because their legs are aligned more downhill.

I just got back from Lake Placid, where the starting temp of the day was around 4 degrees. Throughout the day I was probably 3 broken bindings- by World Cup racers in an extremley demanding course and snow conditions. These women and men were riding all sorts of bindings with combinations of metal, plastic and who-knows-what in them. Tons of Burton plates, F2 plates, Phiokkas, and every other binding made under the sun..