Note to New Members ×

Snowbound in Southern Calif.!!!

Guest James Pryor

Guest James Pryor

The Snow Gods have been very good to us in S. Calif. this year! Bear Mt. opened before Halloween and the storms just keep coming. So many epic carving days I have lost count. In Nov/Dec we got dumped on and then cold dry Santa Ana winds in between storms to make the railing great. January it just kept coming and before long it was time to drive to Aspen for the sesh. I took my wife Debbie and son Shane. We had such a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. Wow the level of riding has gone through the roof since the first P.C. sesh in 1999!! Everyone has improved. We got home Sunday night and it finally stopped snowing Wed. afternoon. The riding today was great and tomorrow the sun will be out and the epic flag will be raised!! Silver is my test track at Bear and it is a run that has it all. The only problem is the lack of other Alpine riders. It was such a treat to see and ride with so many different carvers in Aspen. See you out there... Jim Pryor

D-sub, just want to tell you that you picked the wrong year to move up to the snow starved PNW. It is just sick down here with all the snow and rain.

Summit is reporting the deepest base in years, the drive on Highway 18 is incredible and so is the riding.

Just to give you some idea how much moisture we have recieved, Lake Arrowhead was down 22 feet from its normal level, as of yesterday they were letting water out of the lake to keep it from flowing over the dam.

Big Bear Lake was down over 17 feet last fall. It is now only 2 feet from its full level, with all the water locked up in snowpack it will definitely be full come spring if not sooner.

Another storm is expected to hit us on Monday!!

Guest James Pryor

Rode Bear today and boy was it the real deal!! Sunny and groomed perfection. Kerry Wise showed up and we had a carve fest. Silver was just phenomenal and Showtime on the main run really was in good form. It got cloudy about 10:30 but was still great. Going to see mom this weekend out in Palm Springs. Will be back on Monday. I am at Bear just about every day so if you want to rail come on up!! Jim Pryor

I rode at Summit and Bear on Sat. and it definately was NOT epic.

Beautiful blue skies in the morning, but the snow was VERY firm. It reminded me of the hardpack snow in Michigan. I had a much better time when I switched from my Oxygen Proton 164 GS to my Proton 149 SL.

I went to Bear to ride the superpipe from 2:00 to 4:00 then went back to Summit for more carving.

I think the next time I go local, I'll carve at Bear and try the runs that James Pryor has been talking up and also try my hand at Geronimo.

Guest James Pryor

Rode Bear Monday March 1. O.K. the snow on Silver was not as good as it was Friday but Geronimo was in great form. As smooth as a billiard table and good quality snow. Bear Pk. is the highest lift served terrain in Southern Calif. and that elavation works wonders. There were about 15 people on the run and it was hard enough that when I left at 2 still smooth. No problem holding an edge and boy the lower piste is a blast cause it really has some pitch to it. jp