Note to New Members ×

Madd 158 vs. Nidecker Tornado 157 SL

Guest atamme

I realize everyone is going to say the Madd hands down but I don't have 500-700 to drop, so does the Tornado bite the dust or just barely keep up? Keep in mind I am a big kid at 225 lbs.

Wishing I had the dollas to get the Madd, but I need a inexpensive SL deck.

Don't have experience on the Madd 158, though I own and LOVE my 170!

I also have a Nidecker Tornado SL 161 that I freecarve and have raced it as well. You really can't go wrong with the Nidecker, especially if you can pick it up cheap. Do you know the condition, days on it, any camber left, etc.? I've had many fun days on that little Tornado and have owned and/or ridden just about every size of Nidecker's GS & SL line over the past five or so seasons. They really make a nice ride.

If $ is an issue, the Nidecker is probably more realistic - doubt anyone is going to by giving up a Madd 158 for less than 5 bills, even thoroughly used:eek:

Don't know why I didn't comment on this in my first response, but I was just looking at your weight and thinking that you might be a bit on the heavy side for a 157?? Are you an experienced, aggressive rider? Is this for SL only or both race and freecarve? I'm weighing in around 155-157 and ride the 161 comfortably.

I'd be interested in seeing what some of other heavier carvers/racers are riding out there for SL size decks. I'm sure there are some bigger blokes riding the Madd 158, which is a slightly different animal than an average SL deck - so I've heard.

Check out Billy's review on it here: http://www.hardbooter.com/articles.php?id=26

Thanks, I was pretty sure that I would hear that I was too large for this board, but I thought I would ask because I really didn't know anything about it. I have two boards right now a 178 4wd and a 190 WCR and am looking to get into SL for racing and freeriding. I really couldn't tell you if I am an agressive rider or not. I haven't ever had the opportunity to ride with other hard booters for much time. But from what I can tell just from how I ride I would say , yes. When I really want to lay it down I really can push it hard. So I will keep looking for a SL a bit larger.