Note to New Members ×

buying used boards

Willy

hello everyone i am not on here often but wasn't sure if there was another topic on this issue in the past. when it comes to buying used alpine gear do boards all have serial numbers or just some? i am asking because i have a board in mind and just hope its a legit board and not shall we say "HOT" or stolen. it is used and seems like a reasonable price and not sure how to tell if its hot or not except for if it has a serial number and its scratched off or something.

Yes, all boards have serial numbers, but they aren't like VINs where you can run them through a database and see if they're stolen.  Also, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority don't write their serial numbers down and keep that in a safe place in the event of theft.  If the serial number's been obliterated, that's cause for suspicion, but isn't enough proof that it was actually stolen.  You can also ask for receipts if you really want to hassle a seller, I suppose.  Personally, if I has a guy indirectly accuse me of stealing a board I was trying to sell by way of asking for proof of legitimate purchase, I'd probably tell them to go pound sand.

The only way to 100% guarantee it's not stolen is to buy new.  Beyond that you'll never know for sure.

Edited by That Guy...

Only small manufacturers keep track of serial numbers, and since any board can be reselled, it is getting difficult to track them.

At Swoard we kept track of serial numbers of stolen boards, in order to avoid them to reappear in the classified sections in various sites....We also advised people to ask the owner about the serial number and history: if that is not clear, it means the owner has a "hot" board and knows it....

Serials tracking also help to know what flex and year the boards are build.

I agree its a difficult task ( finding out if a board is genuine or stolen)..

N