Note to New Members ×

Mozzman's AES (Australian Expression Session)

Baka Dasai

Originally posted by MozzMann

...I'm trying to tee up a Carve event here in Oz but it's taking a while to get the resorts on side.

Excellent idea! Count me in. I'll be in Australia from April, living in Sydney, which aint that close to the snow, but it's better than Brisbane :)

Nah, I actually don't travel that much. I'm just moving back to my home country after 5 years living in Japan.

An AES would be great because the visibility of carving in Australia is approximately nil. I know that a few of the instructors occasionally ride plates, and have to do some plate riding for their certifications, but that's about it it. I don't think there's anywhere in the whole country to buy equipment, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

<i>I was a male prostitute for the FBI

I did everything...and MORE!</i>

A small prize to the person who can name the band and the song.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm meeting with one of the mountain manager's soon (hopefully next week) and he seemed rather receptive to the idea even to the point of inclusion in the Coca Cola Wild winter weekend activities :D . Now I can't promise anything but this is certainly a step in the right direction.

As for gear speak to Mike at First Tracks Jindy , he can get stuff and he's wanting to raise the profile of carving in Oz like me . He had a brand new F2 in the shop that we were going to demo but ended up selling it about 3 hours after unpacking it along with a schmick new set of TDII's.

I reacon front valley at PB on the Slope course would be wicked for raising the profile since it is right in front of "The Pub" and under the Village 8 Lift :) .

I would like all Aussie and Visiting carve's to contact me through my infant Web Site OzCarve www.ozcarve.com

with ideas to build good info on where to ride and where you have riden etc.

If we work together I think we can gain a level of acceptance not seen here.

I'm continually being pointed out on the hill, possibly because my board is longer than a lot of ski's.

I ride Hardboots on an all mountain board as well as being an old bugger not content to let the younger set have all the fun.

I'm talking to a local supplier about quality shirts to help fund the Web Site too.

I'll try to get images of styles if anyone is interested.

Large Oz Carve Logo on the Back with the Tag as per the Web Site or something like "Zoom the Groom"

with a Small Ozcarve logo on the front.

Mozz,

Assuming I enjoy SES and become a carving devote (as I am sure I will) I will be there with bells on.

As far as getting gear in Oz, I just got my boots fitted today in Melbourne at Skiman Bob's in Hawthorn. They actually sell Deeluxe boots and have been considering restocking alpine gear, as opposed to just ordering in when someone wants something.

The guys there have done a bit of carving and seem to know what they are talking about, so for anyone in Vic, this would be a fair starting point.

See you in a few weeks.

Dan

Thanks Dan thats just the sort of info I need .

I'm very seriously thinking of bringing in a heap of stuff , unfortunatly on preorder BUT if things go well , I just might be able to get stock displayed at a local Board outlet and fellow Carver's shop.

See ya soon .

Mozz

• 1 year later...

Good call.

Let's set a date sooner rather than later, otherwise the closer it gets, the harder it is for everyone to commit.

Winter Wild Weekend would be good to showcase hardboot carving to the rest of the Aussie snow community, but there is the question of whether it will be too busy that weekend.

But at the moment, my schedule is free all July and August.

• 2 months later...

bump...

This would be great :biggthump

I haven't snowboarded since moving to Sydney last August, so I am definitely looking forward for some carving action. Otherwise my carving will start to suck as much as my surfing still does...

Timewise August would be good for me.

Wild Winter Weekend is THE perfect time even if things are busy, we need to raise the profile in OZ it's that simple.

I get Ooo's and Ahh's from the Village 8 on Front Valley when night boarding.

Still trying to get some stuff happening and have arranged for a Marque for Fin and the gang to bring some gear :P .

Realistically Thredder's may be a better option but at this point I'm still leaning toward Perisher Blue, in August as being the best snow conditions for us and by that stage Rollercoaster should be cooking this is one of the better runs at PB for just sweepingdown the hill.

Now I'm liasing with some people at Thredbo and I'd say we should be set to get things happening . Personally I think 2 days in Thredders and 2 in PB dependant on agreement and snow conditions.

I'll keep all abreast of happenings.

Guest The Waterboy

PB's a fair way up the track from Melbourne, but bugger it I've never been there and an Aussie Expression Session sounds like a great excuse to make the trek.

Googled Wild Winter Weekend - it popped up on multiple dates (July 28th and also mentioned 6th August) Mozzman when are you actually planning for?

Dan & Tcross, would three be a crowd?

Obviuously I have problems with Internet....chinese mistake :eek:

So what I wanted to say is:

Well, I'm quite desappointed to discover this thread too late!!!

I've been looking, for a while, a place to go snowboarding during this summer in Oceania!! After some research I was up to go to a backcountry trip in NZ in SB but in the end the dates wouldn't do it so I decided to go back in Europe for an whole month, postponing my 'great summer snowboard trip' to 2007...ah too bad, I could have make it to your session!!

Please give us a feedback so next year I could do it to a HB meeting in AUS! I could be around within a few (12) hours...in the meantime have fun guys!!!:biggthump

• 3 weeks later...
PB's a fair way up the track from Melbourne, but bugger it I've never been there and an Aussie Expression Session sounds like a great excuse to make the trek.

Googled Wild Winter Weekend - it popped up on multiple dates (July 28th and also mentioned 6th August) Mozzman when are you actually planning for?

Dan & Tcross, would three be a crowd?

Nah, no drama with me. Could do 4 at a stretch (have to limit the gear we take) but would be a good road trip.

falling in Perisher and the're "BOM" is forcasting more , My gut feeling after looking at the COLA and EGES Web Sites will be a mixture of light rain and Wet snow this weekend with Light snow falls Wed , Thur, Fri next week with light snow possible wet Sat. Sorry guys looks like this season is a bit of a fizzer.

It's entirely up to anyone who'd like to come to perisher for a slide. 5-6 Wild Winter Weekend or even this weekend th29th Tuesday and Saturday Nights are Night Skiing and boarding if this appeals.

It is looking good for a half decent late season dump around the 15th - 17th Aug but this will depend on wether a good low forms North of NZ.

Mozz