Note to New Members ×

Looking to get the kids started in winter sports

Chubz

Starting with the 7 year old boy then the other boy and girl when they turn 6 or 7.

Contemplating picking a cheap used set of skis, boots to get him started then throw in boarding once he cuts his teeth. Or better to rent? local shops have season rental for $69, but used youth skis are around the same price and I would hope to then use again for the other kids when they start.

I guess I figure I can get more value from buying a cheaper used set than renting each year.

Parental input welcome and anyone that has youth equipment laying around not in use let me know. Size 120 cm ski, youth boot 20 mondo, Board size about 120CM

Thx

Greg

I've got two daughters. I started my oldest boarding at 6 at the same time the youngest started on skis at 3.

Flash forward three years. The oldest at 9 now runs a 125cm burton feelgood v-rocker board (it comes to her eyebrows) and she can run down blacks and blues at high speed. Keeps telling me she wants to be a carver like me. It was too bad I just missed on the 135cm factory prime on eBay (sigh).

Between 3 and 6 the youngest skied and got to skiing blues and blacks comfortably. The now six year old started late last season on a 90cm board. This year she's on a 110 Burton chicklet (also up to her eyebrows) she picked it up fairly quickly and is zipping down greens and starting into blues without any real difficulty.

I've seen kids as young as 4 or 5 really ripping along on the Burton choppers and chicklets. The convex base increases the confidence and reduces the learning curve of boarding. Of course lots of support helps in overcoming the initial learning curve.

BTW The Burton freestyle Jr. Bindings are crap in my opinion. Even at five my aughter's feet seemed to twist in them. The oldest one now uses Burton Stilletos and the youngest is using K2 Kat bindings.

I've bought some gear used in the past, for the really small sizes. But as my kids have gotten older and bigger I've bought the oldest one good new equipment (thought often last years off model) knowing it will get passed onto the younger one. Lucky having two girls that way too. Both my kids put about 25 days on snow every year so that helps justify it too.

Cheers,

Dave