Note to New Members ×

Finding Low-Angle Powder in Europe

Helvetico

Now that I've got my Tanker 200/hardboot combo going, the need for avalanche-prone steeps is obviated. Anybody have tips on finding good resort pow in Europe? I find that places that attract extreme skiers...Verbier, St. Anton, Engelberg...get tracked out quickly. With two kids and middle age weighing me down, I don't have the energy to hike around looking for secret spots.

I've had good luck so far at "family" resorts and remote locations accessible only by car. Have heard good things about Stuben in Austria. Any other recommendations?

2 - 3 places ring bells:

- La Grave in France

- Alagna, Italia

Forget about the kids thu, we are talking big open faces and they are not likely to be able to follow the speeds and paces required unless they are grown ups or very fit:

( la grave playground)

But its pretty late in the season only 2-3 weeks to go..

Nils

Thanks, Nils. I had fun this weekend at Diavolezza/Lagalb and Corviglia at St. Moritz. Lagalb is steep and requires a shorter board. Diavolezza has a lot of easily accessible rolling hills if you turn left, traverse Schwarzhang and roll down Collinas.

Corviglia's best powder chair is Las Trais Fluors. Obvious pow fields are to the left, but don't venture too far, or you'll get caught in avalanche-prone territory. Turn right off the lift and wrap around the mountain on either side and there's a lot of powder for the taking.