Note to New Members ×

Alaska's Mount Redoubt- Potential Eruption

Chubz

Just got a notice from my work that Mt. Redoubt may potentially erupt soon. Thought it might be of interest to anyone up that way.

Here is what the article said.

In late 2008, the Alaska Volcano Observatory first noticed increased seismic activity in the 10,197 foot peak, with a significant increase in activity occurring in late January 2009.

Four possible scenarios exist, ranging from no dramatic event to an eruption much larger than Mt. Redoubt's most event in 1989. In 1989-90 there were a series of eruptions over a five month period, causing $160 million in damages. During that eruption, ash covered an area of roughly 7,700 square miles. Damage was reported as far away as Fairbanks and the border of the Yukon Territory.

Lets hope it doesnt spew.

it was a big deal up here a few weeks ago, when it started having bigger tremors, one that shook me awake. but news has since died down and it's basically on the backburner. it may blow, it may not. my opinion is that it won't blow, but we'll all jsut have to wait and see. i think it's become a bigger deal in the lower 48. evryone's prepared but i don't think anyone's really concerned. let's just keep hoping it goes back to sleep, especially since i only live like 70 miles from it :confused: