Note to New Members ×

To BJVircks, How's Joe?

AaronG

Brad, I was curious as to how your son is doing after his stroke that he had last year? I know you had an update that he was doing much better but that was many months ago. Let me/us know?

Any plans on coming out hang gliding in the near future???

Hi All... Thanks for the interest!

Joe continues to improve. In May we went to Florida and stayed for a week on the beach at Hollywood (between Ft Lauderdale & Miami). Joe had been seizure-free for 6 months and so he was allowed to drive. I rented a Mustang convertible for him and his girlfriend to cruise around in.

I joked with him about the fact that I didn't expect to have any problems with him swimming out too far into the ocean since he'd most likely swim in circles :). He and Jamie had a laugh.

Joe gets around really well now, and you need to watch closely to notice his slightly irregular gait. Because his ankle and leg control is probably never going to be 100% he needs to stay off uneven ground for now.

A couple of weeks ago he had a minor seizure while at home and so he has had his driving privleges withheld for another six months, so he is somewhat bummed. Joe is signed up for more engineering courses this fall at ISU and will share a house again with some classmates. This summer he took 4 'fluff' courses at one of our local community colleges and did well. Then he took Statics (engineering course) to see if he had the ability to be in class and handle technical thinking. He did well enough in that and so is confident in moving forward.

You may have heard of the flooding in Iowa. In our town of Cedar Rapids we had massive flood damage with thousands of homes damaged and several thousand folks displaced with almost nowhere to go. Cleanup folks who worked Katrina say our situation is so much worse because of the fact that our flooding is from muddy river water filled with farm runoff and untreated sewage from towns where treatment plants were overrun. Katrina brought saltwater and rainwater which are both fairly clean by comparison.

Both my house and the kids mom's house were unaffected but all our lives were significantly disrupted. Things are very slow in getting back to some semblance of normalcy.

Brad