Note to New Members ×

Angulation? Or centripetal force management?

SWriverstone

Reread my line that you quoted (and evidently misunderstood) ...I said that I identify the forces,.. I wasn't challenging anyone else to.

That was more a challenge for myself really, to see if I understood!

I'm not big on this obsession w/cross-unders/overs, myself...

That description is really of a smooth carving moment, where it really feels like the board squeezes under the torso and there's not much feeling of extension to do it.

Did you take a peek at my post right before yours, with the judo reference?

Yeah, I did and it was good. It's how I was trying to describe this turn with a balance of forces that don't require much strength, but good technique.

Just looking for some feedback as far as proper aplication of the different forces at play.

This is heavy! It's so much easier to do this when you have snow and someone to ride with, than taking those elements away, to be only left with a pure verbal form.

I have never challenged myself to do this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the snow, I don't have much time for words myself.

The interesting part of this exercise for me is that in talking with you and the other folks here, I can hone my presentation down to the fewest words possible, by identifying the phrases that help the most and eliminating the ones that don't.

Training people to teach effectively, in a manner that promotes demonstrating and client riding can be hard during a course when there is a significant amount of material to cover. The danger is that a new instructor goes away thinking teaching is all about telling.

The best evaluators can clearly defing parts of the program that are verbal, for their benefit and "Sample sessions", where the goal is to show the candidate how tactics can be verbally communicated pretty quickly, so that the majority of the time is spent in student trial and feedback.

The only thing we have here in this virtuasliding environment is wordsmithery, so I'm trying to get practice there. Especially high-end, quck, punchy verbal explanations, as that is the type of rider we seldom see and get to communicate sometimes complex movements to.

Did CASI come our of CSIA, or did it arrive unaffiliated?

CASI was started by some great guys out of Quebec, known as the Quebec SB Commission (Thats when I started).

The CSF got involved through the provincial organisations responsible for competitions, like the Alberta Snowboard Association, where I lived and ran courses.

After a time we became affiliated with the CSIA, so that we could have one point of origin for "snowsliding", to benefit our end users, the snowschools.

We share a head office and one member of their Board sits on ours and vise-versa.

Friendship aside, we still blow their doors off in tight trees.