Note to New Members ×

Banked Slalom at Tyrol?

oldkey

Any WI riders here involved with this event on February 3rd? I've heard the term "banked slalom" before but really don't know what it means.....is it like a boardercross course? Will the regular crew that races Monday nights be there? Worth the trip for the G-Team riders from MN?

If they haven't changed the course in the last few years, it is a bordercross course. There were 2 table top jumps and 2 banked corners. Tryol is not a very big hill so the course is fairly short (no worse than here in the twincites area though).

I never participated in the actual race, so I don't know how they run it. The course was kind of fun to run through. They left the course up and anyone could go through at any time when the races were not being run.

Maybe some who has been there for the race day could give you more info on the details.

I watched the boardercross this weekend and they had 2 rollers, about 8 banks and 2 tabletops. I talked to the guys who run the events and they said it will be 18 gates all with banks. Not sure how they are going to fit that many banks into the run, but I can tell you that the ones there this weekend for the boardercross were a lot of fun. I plan on running it since its only $10. I didn'y hear much about the format, but apparently there will be a bunch of prizes. I know they're trying to raise money to build some new permanent features for the jibbers.

I've been asking myself that question. We had our Monday night race league last night and the boardercross course with the banks was still up from the weekend. I took a few runs down it between race runs and it was interesting. It was okay on the race board, but as I picked up speed I ended up having to slide a lot of turns because the banks get pretty close and tight. I think without the rollers hardboots would work fine, but probably on a BX type board. I think I'm going to bring both setups and see how things go, but I'll probably try my hardboots on my freeride BX board. I'm not sure how much the course will be like the one that's up right now, and I'm not sure how much this helps you, but those were my thoughts.

I personally would like to see lots of the MN folk swing to Tyrol this weekend for the banked slalom. It is only $10. I spoke w/ the owner of Focus this last weekend for quite some time on how he wanted to dial in the course and $trider was right, it is using the BX course currently built and adding more banked turns. It sounds like it should be pretty fun. He is trying to make it a similar feel as the Mt Baker Banked Slalom.

As for prizes, I know he was making some tropies and I believe there will be some prizes/gear as well. No cash will be handed out.

The more people that show, the more often Focus will put on contests like this. I myself would like to see someone put on a BX race with a cash purse in the Midwest.

Well, it was pretty fun. It could have run a little smoother, but it was the coordinator's first event. The course was a lot of fun, if you let it run too much you'd fly out of the course. 45 second course on a 300 ft hill. Technical only in the sense that you needed to know when to let it run and when to hop a gate. Overall, worth the $10. However, I had to leave early so I have no idea how the door prizes went...anyone stay around long enough for that? Oh....and an all-mountain board would definitely have worked better than my race board.