Note to New Members ×

Mixed bindings front and rear

BadBrad

I currently have 2 sets of Burton race plates. I am considering buying a set of Burton physics step-in bindings for the step-in convenience.. This requires modifying my boots so they won't work with the race plates, meaning I'd have to remove and reinstall bindings to swap boards. I was wondering if I could use the race plates on the front bindings and the physics on the rear so that I could use this setup on 2 boards.

Are the race plates and physics close enough that this would work okay?

Are the heels designed so that the release handle is on the left on one boot and on the right on the other? This would mean that one rear binding would have the handle on the inside and the other would have it on the outside. How are they usually positioned?

Anyone else use a setup like this?

Do you have two sets of boots you are planning using or just one set of boots that you want to use on two boards?

I know lots of people do this with intec bindings. If I recall correctly, the recievers (bindings) work independently of which boot or which side it is, but the heels are designed to be put on only one side (left or right).

You can set up your boots to use physice and regular bail binding.

I would recommend riding with a race plate in the front and a physics on the rear, due to the huge differance in stiffness and feel you get from the two bindings.

I'm not sure I understand. Looking at the photos here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=18022

it looks like the physics heel won't work with a bail. I guess I could use the standard toe bail, though. Is there a way to piece together the heel parts so that it will work with both physics and standard bails?

I would put the physics on the rear because I don't really need step-in convenience on the front. Which binding is stiffer?

Should the release handle go on the inside or outside of the lower leg?

Thanks,

BB

I'm not sure I understand. Looking at the photos here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=18022

it looks like the physics heel won't work with a bail. I guess I could use the standard toe bail, though. Is there a way to piece together the heel parts so that it will work with both physics and standard bails?

I would put the physics on the rear because I don't really need step-in convenience on the front. Which binding is stiffer?

Should the release handle go on the inside or outside of the lower leg?

Thanks,

BB

Burton boots from that era had heel and toe blocks that could be mounted in 2 positions: the "standard" one, where the contact points for bail bindings protruded from under the shell, and "retracted", where the toe and/or heel blocks could be bolted towards the midpoint of the boot for improved heel/toe clearance on narrow boards/bigger feet/lower angles. Physics bindings were available with a Speed Hook option that works only with Burton boots with retractable toe ledges (AFAIK - if anyone out there has successfully modded newer boots to work with Speed Hooks, please let me know!) that was stiffer than the bail option. The heel piece has the same upper profile as Intec heels, and will retrofit any Intec-compatible boot without issue.

Physics bindings are considerable stiffer than Race Plates, owing mostly to the boot-binding interface rather than the binding-board interface. Likewise, using Speed Hooks steps up the stiffness another notch compared to a front bail.

The cable goes along the lateral (outside) aspect of the boot - there's a hole in the boot sole for the cable to pass through, and it's only on the lateral side (AFAIK).

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks, that helps a lot. I've always preferred a stiffer front boot/binding setup, so it doesn't sound like I want to mix them with the stiffer physics in the rear. However, it does sound like I could set up my boots (Burton Wind) for both the step-in and regular plates, which would be nice.