Note to New Members ×

Thule Box mounts

Jrobb

Not sure if this really qualifies for off topic, but...

I need to get a roof box for a tripto MT this Christmas. ONly thing I'm not sure of (and I'll be buying used) my racks are mounted to my truck's shell (nto OEM to the shell, so they can't be moved). As they carry sailboards primarily the spacing is quite long...about 135cm little ofer 4ft.

Are the mount options on boxes in general widely adaptable, or are they geared more to a sliding factory rack deal? I know this is a shot in the dark but I'm sure many of you have boxes and what with all the ingenuity floating about here I'm sure you mounted them yourself too.

My cross bars are set and can't be moved. I know I can drill new holes and use brackets if I need to, but I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

tanks

J

When I got my Thule, I had standard mounting holes that were separated enough, but even on its most forward point my tailgate still hit the box. So I drilled an extra set of holes, moved the box forward enough and it worked no problem. I suspect you are going to be drilling. FYI, if you are a AAA member, you get a discount at RackNRoad (I think there's one near you, I've seen one off of 80 somewhere). I got mine from them and they helped me with drilling the holes.

When I got my Thule, I had standard mounting holes that were separated enough, but even on its most forward point my tailgate still hit the box. So I drilled an extra set of holes, moved the box forward enough and it worked no problem. I suspect you are going to be drilling. FYI, if you are a AAA member, you get a discount at RackNRoad (I think there's one near you, I've seen one off of 80 somewhere). I got mine from them and they helped me with drilling the holes.

Hmmm. i think there's a RackNRoad off 680 in Walnut Creek or maybe P-Hill. My gf's a AAA member, I'll see what they have.

I don't mind drilling to fit.

BTW, I'm looking for say 1400 sizes and up. There's a few on Craigslist for under 400 and a few others under 300. How big's yours :cool: and how much gear can you put in?

J