Note to New Members ×

Tuning Tips

newcarver

Edge angles are really dependant on the snow surface from what I understand. I think if you do 2 deg side 1 deg base you'll be happy. I normally do 3 side 1 base and I know a lot of people prefer that.

Waxing is no different from any other snowboard. Pick the right temp wax for the snow temp, etc.

Check out www.alpinecarving.com

There is enough info there to keep you busy for a while.

the closer to 90deg you keep your edge the easier it will be to keep it sharp and maintain it in good condition. I too like the 2side, 1 base. I seem to be able to feel the difference in base edge bevel more than a side edge bevel.

I had a rock take a chunk out of my board with a 1 or 2deg base. It took me 3deg to completely remove the chunk. I ended up with a 4deg base and 2deg side. I had to match it with a 4deg side. It was fine but seriously limited my enjoyment. The board had to go a ways up on edge to grip. This was done to avoid a base grind or two. Going back, I'd have done the grind to save my preferred angles.

I've had good success too with universal wax in cold and mild snow temps (<38F). Usually on my board I run cold wax next to the edges and whatever temp I need on the rest. The cold temp wax is tougher and seems to keep base burn to a min. on the edges.

J

Keep in mind, what they call base oxidization is a misnomer. Yes, you can get white rough looking spots on your base, but that's from wear and tear of the base, what lots of people call "base burn". Wax helps protect against that wear and tear. So the method of fixing and preventing "oxidization" and base burn are the same, the idea of why it is caused is the only thing that differs.