Note to New Members ×

Ski to Sea Race - Mt Baker May 27th

C5 Golfer

• 4 weeks later...
That sounds like a great way to spend the day. Interesting that it is limited to locals. Are there the same dominant teams each year? Still, it sounds like a lot of fun.

It is a fun way to spend a full day.. specially waiting for your Kayaker to come across the bay and then paddle his/her a** off to the beach. He/She then has to climb out of the cockpit and run along the beach up a sandy hill and ring a brass bell. Some lost a few positions just because of leg cramping while trying to run in the sand.

It is open to anyone - not just locals. I am sure there are dominate teams but that would be in the upper division -- we are recreational which is just out for braggin rights and a smile.

My mistake. I glanced at the rules, and in the divisions I saw a specific county listed. Didn't realize it was a division all by itself! How does it take to finish the entire relay?

Using our team as a sample for time to complete-- out of 432 teams entered this year we finished 110th place. 19th in our Division of 122 Teams.

The race started at 8:30 with the Cross-Country Skier taking about 40 mins, He handed off to me and I did my part in about 39 min. This downhill event part involves handing of the wrist band off and then stepping in my back binding and down a short hill to the bottom of a black diamond run, taking your board off and start climbing up a black diamond run to the top. Where then you get on your board and race down the back side to the finish line. The climb is 99% of the race. Road Runner is next who takes about 1 hour, then to the road bike which takes about 1 1/2 hr, next is the Canoe which takes about 2 1/2 hours, next is the mountain bike which is about 45 min, and finally the kayak which takes about 1 hour. So top of the mountain at 8:30 , 83 miles away we finished at about 4:30 - beating last years time by 22 minutes. We all felt pretty good about it. Except for our runner we are all old farts with our mountain biker about 71 ,

I met my goal for the race by climbing that gawd forsaken hill climb with no stopping this time to rest and beating my last years time. A young guy at mid climb decided to try to pass me and he got along side of me and then just could not do it, so he fell back and waited and tried again, failed to complete the pass. Never saw him again. It was my little stock car race where the guy tries but does not succeed. Made me feel good I was keeping up with the youngins.

Couple of nice sights ---432 Kayaks and 432 canoes in various car top carriers riding thru town, but the best is siting on the beach waiting for your Kayaker to finish and seeing 30 or so kayaks off in the distance all paddleing like hell for the finish line.

It was a good day :biggthump