C5 Golfer

What would you do?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Elevate the Pilot to President of American Airlines
    • Place all Traffic Controllers on that shift(s) on a plane for 2X long
    • Fire all upper management of American Airlines
    • Accept plane travel as hazardous and do nothing

What would you do ? I think this happen just a few days ago.

"I mean, the fact that they diverted us for weather was a good thing," Hanni says. But instead of unloading Hanni's flight and 13 other American Airlines planes that diverted to Austin, the airline told pilots to wait on the tarmac until the storms in Dallas cleared.

"We expected maybe a one-hour delay or a two-hour delay," recalls Glenn Scott, who was delayed on Flight 534.

For passengers aboard these planes, two hours turned into four, then, in at least one case, nine. While other planes came and went as American tried to keep them on schedule, the passengers in the narrow, one-aisle confines of Flight 1348 say toilets overflowed, water ran out and the only food was pretzels.

"The stewardesses desperately tried to keep the tempers and the temperament of the passengers down," Kati Hanni says. "People were having medical issues."

Passengers say the ordeal ended only after the pilot taxied to a gate without permission — 15 hours after the flight had boarded.

Airline officials declined our request for an on-camera interview but admit something went terribly wrong in Austin. They say there's simply no excuse for leaving so many people just sitting on planes. American says it's reviewing what happened and will apologize and offer a "token" to affected passengers, which for Hanni is too little.

Here we go again...looking at the votes, people are blaming ATC...again. While yes, it's their responsibility to move planes around while on the ground and in the air, it is 100% AA's fault for "keeping on schedule". The Pilot did the right thing, since the FAA says that you can only fly for 8 hours at a time, and with 2 pilots on board a puddlejumper, time was running out for their respective duty-days. The schedulers at AA should just be shot. It is THEIR fault, whether or not they passed the buck on to ATC again.

Here we go again...looking at the votes, people are blaming ATC...again. While yes, it's their responsibility to move planes around while on the ground and in the air, it is 100% AA's fault for "keeping on schedule". The Pilot did the right thing, since the FAA says that you can only fly for 8 hours at a time, and with 2 pilots on board a puddlejumper, time was running out for their respective duty-days. The schedulers at AA should just be shot. It is THEIR fault, whether or not they passed the buck on to ATC again.

Couple of things could have happened -- An attitude issue with a TC, a Scheduler, a Pilot, or anyone in the loop. Somewhere there was someone who simply did not care and had an "I'll show them/her/him attitude". You are correct the Airline is in the end at fault but many in the comm chain could have shortened this unfortunate instance. I hope the investigation finds how to prevent this and brings the proper consequences to the right person(s). This is beyond a wrist slap. And all those affected passengers should get more than a free flight next time they fly – I would not be surprised there is a movie and a class action law suit soon. :boxing_sm:boxing_sm

Something definitly was not right in the way this was handled. It may have been the result of someone being overly optimistic about getting the right conditions at both ends and then have either takeoff or landing window close. Kind of like... OK! Here we go! Oops, no- wait a moment. OK- NOW... nope...

However, I really suspect it may be linked to maintaining the 'on time' record and gate space at the destination. I got caught in a similar situation in Chicago a few years back. Luckily we were let back into the terminal.

I remember quite clearly Delta 191 in '85 that was brought down by windshear. The tail section of the plane sat within 100 yds of the north entrance of D/FW for a month during the accident investigation. The sad thing is that Austin is about 2 1/2 hours from Dallas by bus...

I can't fault AA for diverting to Austin but somebody should have cleared the plane to debark and get those peeps on a bus toot-sweet

I'd certainly agree this was a bad situation....but I'd gladly take 9 hours on a airplane before my holiday trip:

2 hour delay to Den

(3) 2 hour delays in Den (to Montrose)

Flight Cancelled

3 hour wait in the United Air CS line

Overnight stay in Den airport

- no concessions open after 10

- no blankets (all given out while I was in line)

- no pillows (all given out)

- refusal to get my bags (to hop a ride)

- no contact solution (my fault for not packing in my carry-on)

- slept under the Qwest business center cubical (although I didn't sleep)

Next day's flight on-time

No bags!

Christmas eve church - tshirt and jeans (no stores open)

Chirstmas - same tshirt and jeans (no stores open)

TWO days later my bags arrive at Montrose (they say it would take another 2 days to deliver). I drive to pick them up.

I blame Denver airport, they should have been able to accomodate the weather. Regardless, the airport store closing and lack of supplies was a disgrace.

It was simply an inconvenience for me (and 2 days less on snow), but I saw families with kids who were going insane, eldery folks getting ignored and handcapped people without supervision. Truly awful......

Not to minimize sitting on an airplane, but thousands of people were effected in Denver.