Note to New Members ×

Seeking 4x2 Insert Template

Chubz

Is anyone aware of where I can locate a 4x2 insert template? I am about 2-3 weeks from pressing my first board and tying up some loose ends on the process.

I have seen the ski binding templates on the ski building websites, but havent been able to find the snowboard templates. I realize I can use another board for the pattern, but I am leary of being off, even by a smidge.

All in all, getting prepped for my first pressing has been a great learning experience over the summer and some lessons learned during that time have taught me to take my time and do it as accurately as possible. That's why I am looking for the template because it would suck to get the board pressed and bindings not be able to mount.

Please keep in mind, I am doing all of this archaically, without the use of CAD, CNC machines or mechanized production presses, so providing dimensions could work if I take it to a local service, but just seeing if I can do it like the settlers use to by getting the template. Everything has been done by hand except for resawing of core wood and planing of core and wood products. It has been great therapy for summer time blues.

Thanks

Greg

Greg, do you have a machine shop nearby? We just had one made. Hint, add "aligment holes" in the template.

FYI, have you got the bits? Look at the hole shape to make sure it matches the insert profile exactly. Hint-convex -vs- flat. So it doesn't "draw" into the hole. Make sure the inserts are one of the hardwood stringers if you are mixing woods in your core. More inserts, half spaced is a good thing. Inserts with the magnetic hole caps a plus!. Obvious in hindsight, often overlooked. Good luck in your pressing!! Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

4X2 simply means 4cm by 2cm. If you're concerend about the use of a tape measure and square to generate something like this, a computer printer is more than capable of doing it acurately. Just use your cad software to generate a 2cm by 4cm grid and print it at a 1 to 1 scale. You can use a little spray adhesive or full sheet labels to apply the template to your core.

If you don't have any Cad software, take a look at the links to some free stuff here: http://www.freebyte.com/cad/