Note to New Members ×

Any inline speed skaters here?

Gleb

I just picked up some Salomon tr Vitesse 2 for a bargain on ebay that are brand new for $94 and I'm just curious if any of you speed skate of any kind. I really would love to get into marathoning on inlines because I easily do 10 miles a day on average at moderatly high speeds and I'd just appreciate suggestions.

Also, anyone in the boston area skate on the charles much? or know of any nice place to skate?

Thanks.

vitesse02.jpe

I did that for a year or two, it just kinda died out one day, I never really figured out why. I was doing about 2:30 miles at the time, which made it a really good choice for going to the store and whatnot. I still ride sometimes, I have a pair of K2 Carbon something or others from 2003, not speed skates, just a nice pair of training/fitness skates, but they do the job quite well. Im not from Boston and avoid going there like the Plauge, but New Hampshire has some AWESOME skating throughout most of the state. You should try the kankamakus highway from Lincoln to Conway (exit 32 off of 93N) It only has one hill along the entire route (granted its a 16 mile hill that peaks at 2000 or so feet) but the views are incredible. My girlfriend and I were up there yesterday to go biking at franconia falls, and on the down side of the Kank, we passed a lady on a bicycle who was going at least 50 mph, because we sped up from 45 to pass her. It might be a bit much on a set of inlines though ;) . More seriously, route 125 through Hampstead is really nice. You can pick it up at 111 and ride all the way to lake Massabesic.

________

Vapir No2

wow that sounds pretty good. I got some k2 mod 8.5s a few months ago and decided to upgrade. I've gone around 40 on my k2s so i think i'd be able to hit some higher speeds on these. Speed wobble kind of gets me sometimes but its been alot less recently. My new skates come in the mail tuesdayish so I can't wait to try them out. I'll definitly try out the 16 mile hill eventually. I'll be bringing my bike up there soon aswell. Thanks for the info :biggthump

During my ADD years, I raced inline for Marchese and then Fila/Verducci. My goal is life was to race ALL of the Northshore Inline Marathons until I died. Ironman pretty much ruined that idea in 2003, I stopped. Have about 100+ set of wheels in my garage if you're interested (80mm)

A few thoughts:

1) Those aren't really race skates, they are fitness skates.

2) 10 miles is nearly a sprint. Ramp up your miles to around 125/week

3) Skate hills

4) Learn the double push

5) Enjoy the draft

6) Looks like the trend is toward 100mm/4 wheels

7) Intervals are the only way to get faster....providing you do #2.

If you have any questions...let them fly. Although, my knowledge is a few years old now.

K

The skates are much to heavy to be race skates. I got them as a step up from my K2 Mod 8.5 right now. Only reason I havent started doing 20 miles + a day was because my lower back muscles haven't fully developed and still get pretty sore. Hills are all we have where I live. Well the charles river area is pretty flat though.

What do you recommend for intervals and what is the double push? I'll let you know about the wheels soon. I'm pretty interested.

Thanks for your help Kent.

What do you recommend for intervals and what is the double push? I'll let you know about the wheels soon. I'm pretty interested.

Learn from the master, my homie Chad Hedrick....

http://nbcolympics.com/athletes/5056822/detail.html

click on the double push link and watch the video

Hard to believe his technique was originally faulted by coaches--it only help him win over 50 inline titles....

Oh yes...your back will take a beating.

Oddly enough, there are a lot of parallels with the double push and a topic we always talk about at BOL....cross under or cross through.

It's a pretty cool concept once you have it down. Quite powerful for sprinting, although not commonly used in a pace line.

Watch out, inline is a money pit like alpine snowboarding!!!!

the other day, in 90 degree heat, i took a 20+ mile stroll around the charles river. It felt great. I would do occassional sprints but I wasn't really hauling when I wasn't sprinting. My main goal was to work on the double push. Its alot stronger on my right leg than my left. I'm getting better though, but its far from 2nd hand.

2 days before, on a 10 mile ride, my back was killing me but on the 20 or so mile ride, it felt great! I can feel the muscles defintly are starting to develope. I've been plagued with back problems and this actually seems to help.

It defintly is begining to look like a money pit to me. In the past year, I've started 3 different sports and all are money pits. Although i actually havent started kiteboarding yet but I already saved up to start the moment summer session ends.

Back problems....

Mostly they're what we call "muscloskleletal"-work on your "core" muscles and you'll help it-the fact that your back is loving the exercise, tells me more is the way to go....

Thats exactly what I've done, strengthend my abs. Well i did this sophmore and junior year and I had some killer abs back then. By senior year, Since I didn't really have to cut weight for wrestling (I weighed 155 wrestling in the 171 class), I didn't excersise as much. I actually just didn't do as much ab work out and by the end of senior year, i only had remnants of my former stomach and ended up injuring my back towards the end of the season. I'm getting my core back in shape now and skating and running are defintly helping. I can't wait to be in my wrestling shape again!

To take a line from Chad....

JFS (Just #$@%#$ Skate). He doesn't cross-train. If you want to train your back for skating, then go skating.

Makes sense.

Although, I follow periodization for my cycling/tri stuff.

Yeah, I think the difference though is a few years...in my 20's I just ran for exercise...now I'm in my 40's and I perform better with crosstraining...

Let's see how Chad trains when he's a creaky old dude...

I suspect he'll advocate a little core work, too