Note to New Members ×

Leash Nazis at Crystal (WA)

Dan

For the binding screws to pull out of the board, something really bad needs to happen or a really crappy board. So, I think attaching the leash to the binding is adequate.

I always wear a leash when snowboarding. Sometimes I will loosen the high back on my Flow bindings when riding the lift. Once while on the lift, with the loose high back, my foot slipped out of the binding. My leash saved my board.

I also use my leash for a carrying strap. The leashes that came with older Burton bindings were all pretty long. The Burton leash I've had has outlasted all of my Burton snowboards.

Just from this thread, there is enough evidence to show that leashes do the job they were made for plus being a carrying strap for the longer versions.

GdBoyTyler

I have an old long leash from the first generation clickers. It straps just below the knee and is long enough for me to carry my board with the leash on. I am fond of daves run at mammoth which requires a bit of walking along a windy ridge. I hike a little happier knowing that if a big wind blows my board out of my hand and sends it down the hill, I get to follow it.

alan

Free Leashes!

Leashes are probably safer but a hassle to clip on and off so I usually don't use one (I'm lazy). After recently being forced to buy one in order to get on the lift, I started carrying one in my pocket. This leash is so small, I don't even notice it.

This Martin Luther King Weekend at June Mountain, The liftie asked me if I had a leash and I was prepared to comply with his demands. To my surprise the liftie had a handful of leashes adorned with resort logos and handed one to me. It turned out June Mountain was giving them away to all who needed them. Nice!

I find it offensive that anyone would protest about wearing a leash. Yes, the rule is not enforced universally, but that should not be the reason why you shouldn't wear a leash. I actually blame the snowboard companies and marketing for this one. All the jibbing pros don't use them and so you have companies switching to short leashes to minimize the appearance of the leash. Yet, all of us old school guys out there with the long leashes (so long you can strap it right above the knee) know it's the perfect shoulder strap to carry a board. Furthermore, long leashes let you carry the board without the need to take off the leash in those situations where you need to disengage and walk.

Runaway boards don't happen often, but it does happen. If everyone stopped using a leash because it was no longer policy, I guarantee that more accidents would happen. Some of us are grateful boarders no longer have to be certified to ride a mountain or need to check the Burton catalog to see where boarding is allowed. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to wear a leash as a minimum safety policy

Originally posted by hadoken

Some of us are grateful boarders no longer have to be certified to ride a mountain or need to check the Burton catalog to see where boarding is allowed.

Originally posted by eddie

What?? I don't understand. Has this thread turned into a lets bash on Burton?

Hadoken doesn't sound anti-Burton to me. Burton had the snowboard friendly ski-area list as a helpful service. Not needing the list shows how accepted snowboarding has become.

Just got back from Crystal last night, and guess what? I forgot my leash on this trip. I rummaged through a couple of cupboards in the condo and foud a crappy little flashlight with a small loop lanyard. I looped it through the bail and around a buckle and was good to go. On the hill the senior lifty made it a point to show the junior guy that I had a leash. All that after I had ben following this post for some time. Improvise and adapt.

Guest stickmansurf

In a word.............

"shoelace" or anything you can tie with a knot.

It ain't rocket-science, but some would make it seem that way!

Mucho aloha,

Stickman

Last weekend I was scared ****less. I was standing at the bottom of a quite steep slope when I saw a ski coming like a missile down the hill. It was coming right towards three 15 year old snowboarders who was SITTING with there backs towards the ski. It missed them with 50cm! Had they been hit they could probably be paralysed. It was a telemark ski with no leach or stopper.

So my conclusion is:

I have never lost both my bindings then snowboarding. But never the less I think it´s not such a big issue to use a leach.

Mats

Leash is not for cases, when bindings break or come off, but for cases, when you take board off, put it on or carry along on mountain. It's not very hard to lose balance, while attaching board or slip and drop board, while walking. Of course this requires leash which is long enough, so you can have it attached and carry board comfortably along, short leash does not help in such cases and I don't understand at all, why are such leashes made??

Originally posted by hadoken

Some of us are grateful boarders no longer have to be certified to ride a mountain or need to check the Burton catalog to see where boarding is allowed.

OT You know I still keep my 87/88 Certification card from Stowe in my wallet and I have a few of those Burton "resort lists" These days I look at the few mountains that don't allow Snowboarrding and wonder if they have anything that I want...Stoked to see Aspen open; Taos is still closed right??? there are what 5-6 resorts left in the USA that don't allow boards...

Back ON Topic I take back what I said (well maybe not all of it) I still hate leashes but I forgot how useful they are in DEEP POWDER pull the binding off and tow the board as youcrawl to a place you can head back downhill